I've got a dumb idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before, but I didn't see it in a search, and I didn't know just what to search for, so here goes

What do you guys think about using a cassette from a ten or twelve speed bike? The cassette is this part on the wheel

I'm wondering if it would hold up to a 6 or 7 hp motor. I think it mounted on a jackshaft with a derailleur would work. Or maybe I should go look at my mountain bike again?

rocketkart

Reaction score
i hade that same idea in the past but i was going to use a 3.5hp on a mini bike, having the cassette set up on a some sort of jackshaft. i have seen them use those bike angine kits with a jackshaft that allowing you to use the gears on the bike. let me see if i can find a video on youtube.

OzFab

Reaction score
Do you really think that little 2 stroke puts out 5-6hp? I'm guessing more like 1 or 2...

Anyhoo, the one thing that will kill the cassette is torque which, incidently, will also destroy the chain...

For arguments sake, let's say that 2 stroke is 5-6hp; it will produce about 5ft/lbs of torque at around 8000rpm whereas a 4 stroke (let's say, an unmodified Predator) produces around 8.5ft/lbs of torque at around 2500rpm

You see where I'm going?

Status
Not open for further replies.