Is that worth it

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Never seen a stabilizer claiming to eliminate ethanol corrosion and hydrophilic properties before, much less got to see how well it works or doesn't. It shouldn't boost octane like it says unless you had ethanol phase separation already that robbed octane from the fuel. Maybe it does have octane booster built in, but they don't claim that in the description.
I wouldn't keep any fuel around that long without throwing it out (burning it off, green method) anyway, not even the non-ethanol straight gas I get at Wawa. I use off-the-shelf Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in it from any auto parts store.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, Daddy. Why didn't you tell me back in 1980 after California, fixing that 1964 Ford truck, that there were other options besides yours?
Thanks Denny, I'll find some marine grade, throw out my red stuff. And replace my fuel can contents with fresh non-ethanol and non-stabilized gas. It'll make a nice burn-off fire for my guys on Men's Night at the church this time of year when we're on the patio grilling the steaks.

jmaack

Reaction score
Run carb dry after use and never had any problems. Also top off tank to avoid stale gas. For short times not talking a season.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Sea-foam and Marvel Mystery oil have always been my best friends while playing with old cars or old engines. But I’m an old guy. When I used to repair golf karts seen red stabil cause a lot of problems. But the blue marine never seemed to cause any. The people who winterized their karts by following my instructions, just fill the tank up to the tippy top and cover it or put it in the shed and leave it until spring never had any carb problems at all ever.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I recall Daddy pulling Henry's little Johnson outboard off the rented boat every Sunday and hanging it in a 55-gallon drum of water at the fish camp dock while I emptied out the boat. With no 6-gallon fuel can attached, he'd run it dry before laying it in the trunk. Guess he did show me something besides just good ole red Sta-Bil after all. Me being anywhere from 5 to 11 years old in those days, all I ever thought of was it would prevent gas from leaking in the trunk, not about gas destabilizing in storage.
Cyber, here's a link below to some real good Sta-Bil info. It does say the marine version protects against ethanol hydrophilic properties and ethanol corrosion, keeps fuel fresh for 12 months like the red stuff, daily use is 1 oz. per 10 gallons of gas, ethanol blends or otherwise. Overtreating even up to 3x is still safe. Definitely what I'm getting for the Schizoballz kart and future others. Amazon has 8 oz. bottles for $8.49 and other sizes.
Thanks again for the tip, Denny.
What are the Differences Among STA-BIL Products | Gold Eagle Co
Amazon.com: STA-BIL 360 Marine Ethanol Treatment & Fuel Stabilizer - Prevents Rust and Corrosion, Helps Clean Fuel System For Improved In-Season Performance, Treats Up To 320 Gallons, 32oz (22240) , Blue : Automotive

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
No problem. Glad I could help. I got my first boat at age five. My grandfather bought me a 10’ Furry that I picked out. And then next year gave me a 5hp 1960 Johnson Sea Horse. I thought I ruled the lake! They only lived about 150-200 feet from the lake shore. The next year I got a trailer for it I had to fix up from gramps. As soon as I could move it all to the lake and back by my self I was allowed to take it out alone. I was 8 when I finally mastered that! Then I really was the King. The lake is only 3’ deep. Got my gas and oil money from the high school kids and 1 beer for a day of running them out to the swim float they had. Other wise they had to “borrow” some somebody’s mortar mixing tub to float out. I always had to run the engine out of gas before putting it away. Gramps and dad would check. Thanks for the memories!

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
5hp 1960 Johnson Sea Horse.
???? That sounds like it might be the same outboard Henry had! Not sure on the horsepower, but sounds about right. It was slow on the Intracoastal, but got us there eventually, and fit in Henry's trunk easily. That was circa 1963-1969.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yea, but I lived in Whiting Indiana about a mile from Lake Michigan. We lived on one side of George lake grandparents and great grandparents lived on other side. Gramps bought it from a guy he worked with at the Standard Oil refinery. The guy lived in Cedar Lake Indiana. Pretty sure it never saw Florida. :lolgoku:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I know yours never made it into Henry's trunk, but dang it sounds so familiar. Guessing Johnson sold many thousands of those things. !0" Furry, huh? Bet that 5hp. made it feel fast, at least to a 6-year old. Not as much fun as my 14' 3" Bonito bowrider with a 4-cylinder 100hp. Evinrude on it, but not near as dangerous either. PT&T could stand it up beyond 45 degrees and do pirouettes in a 6' circle. One of the fastest small boats on the St. Johns River, tying up at the Landing for dinner and drinks at Silver Spoon. Ahh, the lost youth..................What am I saying, I was 35-years old.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I started my boat phase at age 5, it ended at age 47. My last one was a 14’ 57 Starcraft Sport Ski with a 61 Mercury Kiekoffer 35hp. Started my car phase at age 7, I’ll let you know when it ends. I’m 55 now. Gokarts at age 21 and snowmobiles at 19-25. The sleds did the most damage to me physically!

Cyberninja

Reaction score
I started my boat phase at age 5, it ended at age 47. My last one was a 14’ 57 Starcraft Sport Ski with a 61 Mercury Kiekoffer 35hp. Started my car phase at age 7, I’ll let you know when it ends. I’m 55 now. Gokarts at age 21 and snowmobiles at 19-25. The sleds did the most damage to me physically!
Haha that's awesome!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I’m sorry I junked up your thread with my old memories. I guess that’s what us old guys do sometimes. My apologies.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I guess that’s what us old guys do sometimes.
He's right about that. Comes from overloading a limited space for cognitive recall with more memories naturally developed over old guys' years of gathering them than it can hold, causes them to spill out at every easy opportunity, nature's way of relaxing the brain. My apologies also.
:backtotopic: We were talking fuel stabilizers, various versions of Sta-Bil specifically, while not forgetting that there are many other brands out there like that "Liquid Performance" you linked. I could easily do some research right here online on a bunch of them, but since I'm already satisfied with the Sta-Bil info and respect the name, I'll just stop with that. No point in trying to stuff any more things to remember in that brain space I've already filled to overflowing with things remembered. It's an old guy thing.
You know, sometimes I've forgotten my own name. And that was before dying and coming back with the inability to put a face with a name or vice versa.
I blame the gallon of other people's type A-positive in me. They should have added some marine Sta-Bil while they were at it, I still had almost a half gallon of my own in there.