Is it safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDNECK GOCARTS

New member
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
Racine WI
I have a 1993 briggs and stratten 5HP engine with no mods. I want it to rev higher, is it safe to remove the governer on such a old engine. It only revs to about ¼ of what it could rev to. If it is safe how much extra HP could I gain. Would it be better than 7HP, I know thats a lot to ask for such a little engine with no upgrade parts but it would be so nice.
Thanks for reading.
Redneck
 

karl

Well-known member
Messages
2,449
Reaction score
718
Location
North east Ohio
Valves will float before major damage. Change oil often and dont hold out wot for too long and you will be fine.
 

REDNECK GOCARTS

New member
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
Racine WI
How much extra power could I get and what do you mean by when the valves will float. I know how they work but I just don't know what that is.
 

Ebrownie

Member
Messages
582
Reaction score
7
Location
Western Montana
You won't get extra 'power', just higher rpm so higher top speed. Valve float is when the valves don't close fully and don't get a good seal. This happens at high rpms and doesn't allow the engine to rev any higher.

It can damage the engine if you run at valve float rpm for long periods of time. The way to solve valve float is stronger valvesprings, but that gets into a whole new area of modifications.
 

REDNECK GOCARTS

New member
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
Racine WI
You are proply getting really sick of me but how much faster. I don't have to worry about holding it to long because I have no brakes on my kart and I have a lot of trees by me. So I take it won't give me any better torque at all?
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
You are proply getting really sick of me but how much faster. I don't have to worry about holding it to long because I have no brakes on my kart and I have a lot of trees by me. So I take it won't give me any better torque at all?

How much faster:
Go here and enter your info http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html
A governed engine is standard 3600 RPM
Minus gov. 5200 to 5500.

No brakes and alot of trees::2guns:
None of this will matter because you are going to get hurt.

:idea2:GET SOME BRAKES Then worry about going fast.
To answer the original thread title Question. NO! it is not safe.

And no the governor removal will not get you any more torque.
 

REDNECK GOCARTS

New member
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
Racine WI
I under stand to get brakes but why is it not safe besides crashing into something, is it not safe cause the engine can't handle it or what.
 

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Messages
1,151
Reaction score
63
Location
California
The engine is fine.
Just the no brakes and lots of trees. I was joking.

I don't think kids understand jokes the way we do. it needs to be in meme image format first.
c034e386f0626e88f902a33b18b7727a.jpg

yah get some brakes then mod engine. then get helmet. then test it out. maybe test brakes before testing engine mods :)
 

REDNECK GOCARTS

New member
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Location
Racine WI
It is a manco kart with a one wheel drive tire and if you know any thing about them, which I think you do, they have the sprocket and brake drum bolted to the rim and last year we bent the rim so the brake was so screwed up, so I took it off. GPS has a replacement drive tire which would work but I don't want to spend the money on a one wheel drive kart when I can spend it on my 2 wheel drive kart. Thats why I have no brakes. I do relies it is a big danger and when I have cash I will try to bye a new drive tire, but I'm still trying it on my driveway.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Im not actually removing the governor, i'm just going to remove the gov linkage. Will that still work?:huh:
 

Ebrownie

Member
Messages
582
Reaction score
7
Location
Western Montana
I feel like you don't need more top speed when you already don't have brakes... and why don't you just use your other kart instead of this one?

Just removing the linkage but leaving the internals in the engine will not be good. That little gear can break and explode into bits in your crankcase.
 

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Messages
2,468
Reaction score
132
Location
North West Arkansas
Brakes are cheaper than an ambulance ride. My last one set me back just over 48 thousand dollars. I hit a light pole, trees are worse.

I personally refuse to help you in any way until you prove they are fixed. I've been seeing way too many death traps on here lately and refuse to be any part of it.
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
60
Location
Dallas, TX
New brakes. $40
New garage door $300

That was before I decided to go on a test drive without the new brakes.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,232
Reaction score
4,206
Oh darn. I thought this was an April Fools joke.
 

the Go Kart noob

I is educated Noob
Messages
100
Reaction score
1
Location
canada
I have a 1993 briggs and stratten 5HP engine with no mods. I want it to rev higher, is it safe to remove the governer on such a old engine. It only revs to about ¼ of what it could rev to. If it is safe how much extra HP could I gain. Would it be better than 7HP, I know thats a lot to ask for such a little engine with no upgrade parts but it would be so nice.
Thanks for reading.
Redneck



1) your name says redneck
2) rednecks + home made vehicles
= you never safe with a redneck:roflol::2guns: around
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top