Is it safe to raise an engine with washers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
To fit my torque converter on my mini bike I had to raise the engine about two inches for it to hardly fit and truthfully I should raise it more. I used about 16 washers and long screws. Do you guys think that is safe or is there another way I should do this? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
2" on washers? I wouldn't. You are not evenly spreading the stresses on the block, and cast aluminum isn't that strong. In addition, those bolts are going to be under a huge shear load. This greatly increases the chances of breaking the bolts, and/or hogging out the holes in the engine. If you need 2", your best bet is two pieces of 2"x2" square tube, running front to back.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, thanks. So just get two pieces of metal and drill holes into it? It will be fine still if there is a 2 inch gap in the middle under the block?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
The steel tubing oughta spread the loads enough. If you can weld, lay a plate over top of the tubing (under the engine) to completely alleviate the stresses on the block. Now, regarding the bolts- it's best to avoid really long bolts. If you can find a way to use 8 short bolts instead of 4 long ones, you're better for it.

DJEEPER

Reaction score
Check out my build.

I used some home made box spacers. Now.. Mine are only 1". but still, you get the idea.

I would rather have 2 points of shear than to have 15 (depending on how many washers you have to use)

ML-TOYS

Reaction score
The only issue now is hat with my motor bumped as far left as possible i cant get the sprockets lined up, they are about 1/8-3/16 offset. I am just going to drill four new mount holes for the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.