Is it possible??

Tu tony

Reaction score
I’m new at electric motors with the all the different sizes , voltages some with
gear reductions and of course battery’s. What I have a simple yard kart. Has a solid axle and a double flange hub with bearing on driver’s side. 2 new 3 horse gas engines with matching clutch’s. It has 18” tires -can get 16”. With me the total weight is about 325 lbs. my endgame is to add 2 electric motor’s with spring push button switch to ( with a little help from the gas engines ) get the kart moving from 0 to 10 or 12 mph as fast as possible then let go of the button. At that speed the engine clutch should be ‘grabbing’ good. Maybe push the button and to make the last to 10”of hill. Asking in a mechanical way can l use a motor with gear reduction Unit- change the sprocket (I have found a 10 and 11 tooth #35 for motors so far) with a chain attached to a small mini bike clutch that’s on a jack shaft then another sprocket from jack shaft to main axle sprocket and repeat on driver’s The battery math is confusing I’m only going to need about 15 to 20 minutes of drive time because I’ll only use it in 5 to 8 seconds at a time has to many variables for me to compute. If this works I would like to install 3 push button switches one for both motors- aka the hole shot and one for each motor- for faster sharper turns. With fingers crossed a 4th Button for reverse. Is this possible? If it is could someone point me in the right direction in motor , type /size best size gears possible and battery. I appreciate any wisdom you can pass on.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
This design makes no practical sense even if you could make it work. Just use a larger engine or motor... not one or even two of each.

Tu tony

Reaction score
Is it possible?? Is a question. The story tells my ideal. The ending asked for help from the wise to share their knowledge. Some things don’t need to have practical sense. Should I spend all that time and effort shopping,welding,installing nuts and bolts,wiring,cables,chains,belts,sprockets sand/paint....to install one big engine? That makes no practical sense either. I could just work some over time at work and go buy a new kart with one big engine or motor I just joined this forum a few days ago and on the introduce yourself page I said I like to make old toys new with a twist ( I would like to thank Bansil for his feedback) I was taught in school if you don’t know the answer don’t raise your hand.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Should I spend all that time and effort shopping,welding,installing nuts and bolts,wiring,cables,chains,belts,sprockets sand/paint....to install one big engine?
Pretty much.
I was taught in school if you don’t know the answer don’t raise your hand.
You have an unrealistic perception of how all of this would (would not) work and how easy and inexpensive it would be to even undertake the attempt. The answer is to start with something that could work that won't be a money pit and build your experience to try more challenging projects over time. If you still want to jump in the deep end over something that won't work as you imagine, start researching clutch bearings, jackshafts, kart gearboxes, batteries, controllers, motors, engines, and metal fabrication tools. Price it out and see how well that will fit your budget and physically on your yard kart. Nobody is going to just design your boondoggle for you. Good luck! (y)