• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Is it possible to put longer Leads and fluxcore lines on a 110volt welder?

GreyW00lf

Reaction score
Is it possible to put longer Leads and flux core lines on a 110volt welder? right now I have about 8 feet or maybe less on my leads and fluxcore line combined.

I'd like to not have to move the Welder around as much so I figured to make both my flux core and clamp lines about 10 feet long on each but I figured I'd ask first if it's even worth it on a 110 volt welder. I have a Kicking horse FS130 (CSA)

Kartorbust

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, youd have to buy a different welder all together. Once you start getting longer leads, you'll need a larger machine to push the amperage. 110v is only good up to about 10 feet. To get into a 15 foot lead, you'll need a 240v machine.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You can but it will cost you. Depending on the kind of gun you have you can go up to 15 feet. USA Welding check them out.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Ugh, I have a 50ft 6ga extension cord I made, how do you think electricity got to house in 1st place? It's about voltage drop and resistance, size wire correct and no isdues
But there's a difference. When welding commercially, they do not recommend using long leads or power cords due to poor quality of the current.

52Ford

Reaction score
But there's a difference. When welding commercially, they do not recommend using long leads or power cords due to poor quality of the current.
Not arguing with you, but you're talking best practices. You get power loss through your cables over distance. More the farther you go. You can mitigate this by going to larger wire. Guys with engine drives might run 300 feet of cable to get from their truck to what they need to weld. Pipeliners and ironworkers are two examples. For wire welding in hard-to-reach areas, it's common to carry a small wirefeeder with you, and run long cables from the welding power supply. Assuming OP uses a proper gauge extension cord, they can be 100 feet (or more!) from the outlet and weld to their hearts content. I've made large extension cords out of SJOOW that were over 100 feet. Just do the math beforehand and if you're still concerned, up the wire size by a gauge.