is it possible to fix a bent axle???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
can you fix a bent axle??? i tried with a sludge hammer and i got it straight then i rode my kart and it went back to being bent.. plus this all happened before i redone my kart. now that my parts are coming tuesday i need to fix the axle. any help???

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
beat it into place. then get it red hot, and dip it in used motor oil, do this multiple times, thatll make it sstronger

Probedude

Reaction score
What type of bar? Are you jumping your cart? How heavy are you? How far out from the bearings does your axle stick out?

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
What type of bar? Are you jumping your cart? How heavy are you? How far out from the bearings does your axle stick out?

its just a steel bar axle. and i just rode around. i bought the kart with the axle bent

JHen

Reaction score
Ok, to fix a bent rod first heat the bend up till the metal turns red. Then, press the bend down onto a flat surface. Get two pieces of steel or cast iron that are flat and roll the axle back and forth at the bend and keep the pieces of metal it rolls between as parallel as possible. Then, heat it back up to red and let it sit until cool to the touch.

beat it into place. then get it red hot, and dip it in used motor oil, do this multiple times, thatll make it sstronger

Do not do this. If it is mild steel, quenching won't do anything. If it is an alloy, you are going to crack it somewhere from the stresses of repeated quenching.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Bighead,

If you have access to a press you can do it yourself. Just indicate where the high spot is and press it a little bit at a time until you are happy wit it.

I have used this technique on straightening crankshafts out of cars, it works fine.

You just have to be careful.

Good luck.

Jeremy.

Here is my post from another thread similar to this one. Not sure if you have a press at your avail, thought it was worth a mention.

Have a read here, Bighead wanted to straighten an axle as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.