NO1PITA

Reaction score
Will post pic from other kart with axle seperattted
Axle splits by belt drive.
This one is together and from an amusement park go kart

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Can't wait to see that, things I've never seen before in my life are fascinating. Betting on a flange on ends of axle(s), bolted to belt drive.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I see the 8 bolt holes on the right-side flange, but can't see any on the left. Does it bolt up the same way, or is it something else? Does it make up a live axle, or is it just a one-wheel-peel on the right side while the left side just freewheels in the pillow block bearings?
And are those tapered axle ends I see? Used to seeing stepdowns, but not tapered.

NO1PITA

Reaction score
DSCN2436.JPGDSCN2434.JPGDSCN2433.JPGDSCN2431.JPG

It is a live axle, as you can see by the first pic it looks like 2 axle couplers bolted together with a belt sprocket between them
2nd pic shows brake band on right side of belt sprocket.
Just wondering why they did it that way.
Can't find squat on the axle or kart it came from , no manufacturer stickers or marks anywhere in it.
The engines were missing when I got the karts or maybe I could of found at least the year of manufacture

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That belt drive system is called a timing belt. When buying belts make sure it matches the profile of the sprockets. The engine that came on that kart originally had an internal centrifugal clutch with a 2:1 reduction. You will need that type of engine to make it work again. It is a super reliable system. The reason the axle is like that is to make replacing the belt simpler.

NO1PITA

Reaction score
That belt drive system is called a timing belt. When buying belts make sure it matches the profile of the sprockets. The engine that came on that kart originally had an internal centrifugal clutch with a 2:1 reduction. You will need that type of engine to make it work again. It is a super reliable system. The reason the axle is like that is to make replacing the belt simpler.
AHHA, now I know why the axle is split like that, Thank You.
My intentions are to get rid of the belt sprocket & try to go if possible to a regular drive system.
Denny, you have any idea who made this contraption?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
All I could say is one of the amusement kart companies. That setup was made to run 10 hours a day 7 days a week day in day out. Yes, you could convert it to a chain drive setup.

anderkart

Reaction score
Here's a link to some Sprocket Blanks: https://www.gokartgalaxy.com/sprocket-blanks.html

Kinda looks like you could drill bolt holes in one of these sprocket blanks to match your bolt patern and install between one of the axle half's and that cog belt pulley. (just using the old cog belt pulley as a spacer...)

You'd need to perfectly center the sprocket blank before drilling, and your sprocket would need to be like an 1-1/2" larger diameter than your cog belt pulley to ensure enough clearance for the chain.

Here's links to the charts of #35 & #40 sprocket diameters:

Then you could simply reposition one of the pillow block bearings to compensate for the sprocket's thickness when reinstalling the axle.

NO1PITA

Reaction score
No one knows everything, I laugh at myself on quite a few occasions.
Some of the things I can't believe I didn't see.
I even amaze myself on occasion

NO1PITA

Reaction score
Planning this out in my head for right now, I've got several other carts to finish first.
So far the plans in my head say ( NO NOT THE VOICES )
Yup, going to use original axle, but with torque converter.
Use the axle it has, no sense to buy another one & the original is definitely stronger.
Trim down unnecessary side frame work to make it more like a go kart frame.
The body & frame weighs a ton so I'm not too concerned about roll over, unless it lands on top of me.
I have several 11 & 13 horse Honda horizontal shaft engines I've had for a few months
If possible I'd like to raise the whole thing, those midget wheels look silly to me.
Bigger tires , reposition the axle, & probably weld supports to hold the body on.
Then the hard work comes, alter the body to my taste & repair the fiberglass

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Oh, go ahead listen to the voices in your head. They sound like a fun bunch. As long as they aren’t out to hurt anyone that is!
:smiley_omg:

NO1PITA

Reaction score
The voices in my head have some pretty good ideas sometimes.
Don't believe in hurting anyone, I'd much rather make friends instead of hurting anyone, more fun that way😇😁

NO1PITA

Reaction score
Oh, I've got ideas, and so do the voices in my head, but I'll probably never get around to doing them.
Right now I'm nursing a hand I had minor surgery on a couple of weeks ago
Doc says 4 months before I can do any lifting because of where stitches are in the palm of my hand
Dupuytren's Contracture

But the voice don't care & continue to talk
How about a kids power wheels , slight lift ,bigger tires, etc like Grind hard plumbing does
Body modifications, lengthen body, & paint to my way with a non-harley v-twin & dual exhaust to drive around town.
Trying to get that throaty sound of a hot rod would be great, but with a v-twin it would be a chore, but still worth looking into.
Don't know if aluminum exhaust would sound any different than reg exhaust

Last edited: