ingnition conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Reaction score
I have a Briggs 5hp. I went to get a new set of points & the shop told me to put electronic ignition on it. I bought it & I am not sure where the wires go. It came with a set of wires that are connected to a clip. This clip attaches to to the back of the new unit. It has two wires coming from the clip. One has a washer type connector the other has nothing. I'm not sure where to attach these wires. I would guess one is a kill switch wire.
Thanks

Sorry for misspelling ignition in the title.

Last edited:

bobber

Reaction score
anybody know where the wires go? I'd love to get it running today.
:drool5:

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but try this.
Set up coil on engine with .010 air gap.
With wires not touching anything, check to see if getting park.
If no spark, then ground wire with eyelet to engine block. Under one of the coil mounting screws is the best place.
Check for spark.
If getting spark, then touch bare (no eyelet) wire to block and check for spark again. If no spark, then this wire goes to kill switch.
Let me know if this works out.
Edit: It is possible that they are both kill switch wires set up for different engine configurations.

bobber

Reaction score
Thanks Russ,
I've run out of time today to try it. It'll be the weekend before I get to give it a shot. I'll let you know then how it worked out.

Russ2251

Reaction score
This thread kinda tickled me. I went out of my way to get a 5hp Briggs with breaker points.
I suspect I'm not the only one who prefers them. I believe Mr. McCormic is one of them.

bobber

Reaction score
I wanted it to have points also. I liked having it, in my mind, more retro. I don't know a lot about engines yet & the mower shop convinced me to change it. I have a new set of points also, but they told me if the coil is bad it would cost $90 to replace it.
They pretty much told me that staying with the points was foolish.
I guess I could try to put it back to the points & if it works try & sell the electronic set.

Russ2251

Reaction score
It's rare that the old mags go south. More common, in my experience, to have the electronic modules fail.
Nice thing about points is that they can be tweaked for best performance.
Only bad thing about points is contact surfaces can corrode.
Just a kiss with fine emery cloth brings 'em back to life.
TV tuner/contact cleaner works too.
Make sure to plug plunger hole if points are not used. A glob of RTV sealant will do the job. Clean the surrounding area first so that RTV will stick.

briggsman

Reaction score
Not sure what they acuualy sold you in the way of the electronic kit, the ones I have that are briggs OEM have a little moduale that goes with it, I sell those conversion kits for $15.00 shipped if any body wants one, But what i do is just buy a magnatron coil from a new engine and do away with the points( personal prefrence) I have those also if you want to go that rout. But as far as your question One wire will go to the kill switch and one wire will go to the breaker assembly!
hope this helps!
steve

bobber

Reaction score
Russ,
By the way, its a 1978 tiller engine. It has an extra long cam shaft. I was told it was for reverse.
I guess I need to cut it down to fit a clutch on the shaft.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I prefer points over those electronic deals. When a electronic system dies, its dead. Lose spark with points is usually a new condenser or points cleaning away from running. Nuke goes off in space above us? Good luck getting you electronic ignition generator running! A points engine might skip a little when the EMP hits but thats about it.

I also find that they will make a better spark at low(starting) RPMs, my dad has a briggs 8hp with points that will throw a fat blue spark just rolling the starter cup back and forth.

Sometimes you dont even need to file/clean dirty and corroded points. But I'm not telling how its done as its rather dangerous and you can damage the system.

briggsman

Reaction score
If a nuke goes off in space or were ever the last thing on my mind would be if my small engines are going to work(LOL) I guess its a good thing I have a HATZ 12HP diesel on my generator(NO Ignition Required)

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
If a nuke goes off in space or were ever the last thing on my mind would be if my small engines are going to work(LOL) I guess its a good thing I have a HATZ 12HP diesel on my generator(NO Ignition Required)

Real engines dont have spark plugs.

A nuke going off in space is more probable than one going off on the planet. If one goes boom in space most things electronic will die from the EMP, or so I have been told.

bobber

Reaction score
Point taken

Ok, I finally had some time to work on the ignition. I stayed with the points and it runs great. My next step was to cut the cam extension so I could mount the TAV2. Oh but wait, no 4 bolt pattern on the case. I grabbed a donor from a friend. I guess my next project is to swap cams & side of case.

briggsman

Reaction score
Hey Bobber, If your interested for $25 shipped ill send you a cam and side cover to do away with the reverse drive on the engine! Just thought id offer.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
When it comes down to it, who has the balls to push the little red button thats screws us all?

some drunk russian that got triple dog dared :ack2:

dam even our diesel bobcat has a load of electronics, atm theres a bad connection somewhere and its not starting :surrender:

Status
Not open for further replies.