I'm Still At It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It has been a long time since I've been over to the DIYGK forum, but I finally have a project worth sharing with everyone over here. As the title says, I'm still at it. Now down to business; ever since I rolled my reverse trike go kart I built a few years ago I have been tossing around the idea of adding a fourth wheel. A mere four years later I'm finally doing it!

As I said I have been thinking of doing this for a while, but I have been putting it off to avoid spending the money. Fortunately I was able to buy a new toy back in October with all the money I had saved, a 1997 Gasgas JTX270 trials motorcycle. You can see pictures of me having a blast on it below! Since I got my bike, I have wanted to go out riding with friends, but most of them don't have a toy to ride. It also does not help that every time I let a friend on my bike they lose control and crash into something :D. Here is where the go kart comes in. I wanted a second vehicle that would be easy for any of my friends to use, as well as a little safer.

To get my go kart up and running again I had to make a few changes. First was adding a longer axle in the rear, and then four off road tires. I got a great deal on the 16X8-7 Trial Wolf tires from BMI karts, but they were so deformed from shipping that mounting them without a bead blaster proved to be too difficult. After spending a day and a half trying to mount them, resulting in not even one mounted tire I broke down and ordered some tubes. They arrived today and I got one tire mounted in ten minutes or so; I will do the rest tomorrow. In addition, I also changed the final drive ratio to accommodate for the larger tires.

Next on the list of changes to be made was to fix the horrendous steering. I chopped off the spindle brackets, and mitered the frame for 20° of KPI. This resulted in a roughly 1/4" scrub radius for each wheel. I then welded the spindle brackets back on, this time they were set back at a 10° angle to create positive caster. Once those were welded I cut apart my spindles. First I reattached the axles, but this time at about 118° to adjust for the KPI and to gain 2° of negative camber. Lastly I fabricated some new pitman arms from 1/4" flat bar, this time at 105° angles to incorporate Ackermann steering geometry.

Yesterday I assembled the rear of the go kart. Tomorrow, once the paint on the frame is dry, I will be able to assemble the rest of the kart and then maybe even going for a ride! I also considered making changes to the swing arm of the go kart to shorten the wheelbase and to move the axle bearings out further. Unfortunately, I realized it is more work than it is worth right now. Of course if I do somehow bend an axle I'll go through with that plan, but for now I'm leaving it as is.

If all goes well I should have pictures of the finished go kart for you all by tomorrow night. I'm also looking for pictures of the kart as it was in its original three wheel form to better show the full transformation. Fingers crossed I can report a successful test ride tomorrow!

As a side note for those interested, I have also included pictures of the drift trike that I built, and the (finally) rebuilt motorcycle engine for my mini buggy project. The buggy project isn't dead yet, but it has evolved into such a complex and expensive project that it will probably be at least a few years before it will even get close to being completed. Regardless, I'll keep everyone here updated on that project whenever I make any significant progress.

Thanks,

Rory

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 19
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 13
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
  • photo 5 (2).jpg
    photo 5 (2).jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13
  • photo 3 (3).jpg
    photo 3 (3).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 2 (3).jpg
    photo 2 (3).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 1 (3).jpg
    photo 1 (3).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 18

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Here are the rest of the pictures. Sorry about the poor quality of some of them.

Attachments

• photo 4 (3).jpg
    photo 4 (3).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 46
  • photo 5 (3).jpg
    photo 5 (3).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 24
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 33
  • photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 32

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for finding that for me. Now back to the project.

It's finished, and right on schedule too! I took it out for a test ride and it's working great. It handles so much better with the changes to the steering, and the fourth wheel adds much needed stability. The gear ratio change did the trick as well. The whole project went surprisingly smoothly and only took 30 hours and $300 to complete. It was well worth it, and I can't wait to go get myself covered in mud and snow tomorrow! Anyhow here are the pictures of the finished product. You can compare these pictures to the one landuse kindly provided to see what I changed.

Hmmm, it appears that my phone won't upload theses photos. I'll throw them up once I can get on to my laptop.

-Rory

Edit: Well it looks like one picture was able to be uploaded. Hopefully I can get the others to work too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 37

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Here are the pictures. My friend and I spent the whole day today riding the go kart and trials bike around today. It was an awesome day to say the least!

Attachments

• photo 1 (4).jpg
    photo 1 (4).jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 27
  • photo 3 (4).jpg
    photo 3 (4).jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 2 (4).jpg
    photo 2 (4).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 27
  • photo 4 (4).jpg
    photo 4 (4).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 70

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
while the wide axle does offer some stability when cornering, it also becomes a weak point, and a good hard bump or jump will likely bend your axle.

also the front wheels are likely to start bending up and inward when hitting bumps and jumps as well. i've seen it way too often on manco karts i've aquired. your design doesn't allow for much support to be added without significantly changing the look of the kart.

however, if it seems to be taking a beating ok, then heck with it - ride it till it breaks! lol. it does look pretty sweet, and fun! i can't wait for the weather to warm up, so i can get my personal little 13hp kart out and ride it around. :)

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Yes I did consider that the long sections of unsupported axle put it at risk of bending, and I did have it in my plans to extend the supports outwards as well as bring the axle closer forward to shorten the wheelbase. Although I had originally planned to make those changes, as I looked into it I realized I would have to make some pretty significant changes to the swing-arm. This would have required me to order more square tubing, and I decided that it was more work than it was worth. I have no desire to jump this kart, and seeing as an entire new axle is only $25 I decided I would just try the setup as it is. If it breaks I'll make the changes but for now its working just fine, and its already survived some hard hits from bumps and getting snagged on trees on tight trails.

The front end I didn't even think about, but once again I'm not terribly worried. Between the sand I'm usually riding on, the balloon tires, the springs on the spindles, and some pretty sturdy tubing that comprises the frame, I'd be surprised if I had a problem. Once again though, if I do have a problem I'll have fun fixing it! Win win, right?

What are you waiting for warm weather for? Put on some warm clothes and get out there! :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Rory

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I did consider that the long sections of unsupported axle put it at risk of bending, and I did have it in my plans to extend the supports outwards as well as bring the axle closer forward to shorten the wheelbase. Although I had originally planned to make those changes, as I looked into it I realized I would have to make some pretty significant changes to the swing-arm. This would have required me to order more square tubing, and I decided that it was more work than it was worth. I have no desire to jump this kart, and seeing as an entire new axle is only $25 I decided I would just try the setup as it is. If it breaks I'll make the changes but for now its working just fine, and its already survived some hard hits from bumps and getting snagged on trees on tight trails.

The front end I didn't even think about, but once again I'm not terribly worried. Between the sand I'm usually riding on, the balloon tires, the springs on the spindles, and some pretty sturdy tubing that comprises the frame, I'd be surprised if I had a problem. Once again though, if I do have a problem I'll have fun fixing it! Win win, right?

What are you waiting for warm weather for? Put on some warm clothes and get out there! :D

Thanks for the feedback!

Rory

It sounds as if you got it all planned out. I can understand where you are coming from.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
I sure do! I almost always have a plan for one project or another running through my head, so by the time I actually get to building something I have usually been thinking about it for a while. I'm sure many of you here do the same. Happy building, and happy riding!

Rory

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
I'll try to get some good ones, but I'll have to figure out how to mount my phone to the kart or my helmet. This thing is a ton of fun on ATV trails. It can even climb some pretty steep hills for what it is. I also added a cover for the CVT, and then I rotated the pull start so now it can be started by the driver while he or she is seated.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Too late for that! :D I did that on Monday, and I was even going pretty fast. The kart turned to that side, hopped up a bit, and came to a abrupt stop. Despite all that both I and the kart were completely unharmed :thumbsup:. Needless to say I now slow down and turn in a little later when there is a tree on the inside of a corner.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
1" axles are significantly stronger than you would think. Its at least twice as strong as a 3/4". It would take a man with a mission to bend one enough to notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.