Im new and need help. I have a 5hp Briggs flathead methanol racing engine..

Status
Not open for further replies.

James88

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm just getting started and I have a 5 hp Briggs flathead racing engine that run off methanol.. I have a chassis, tires and just about everything else I need except a clutch and throttle cable.. I'm asking for some knowledge and help on get the right everything a maximizing the most power and durability out of the engine and frame.. Any and all input will be really appreciated..
 

James88

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
It needs a bunch of work but it will be a beauty
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 10

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Ok we wanted a tooth count on the rear axle. to tell you how many tooth clutch to buy.
You want a drive ratio of about 6:1 example 72 tooth axle you will want 12 tooth clutch.
72/12=6 get it. You could possibly get away with 5 or 5.5 to 1 also.

Here is a thread about Throttle cable run to a briggs. Also click the links suggested to him.
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32963

and you can get these parts and more at GoPowerSports.com
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
ah right turns only!

nice kart... for an oval track; too bad it sucks in all other occasions :(

Anyways,
if it's a five hp briggs someone converted as Chancer said... ~6:1 is the way to go;
that provides the most power (as in torque) it won't provide the most speed ...
and is the "safe harbour" value for an engine like yours.
You could potentially gear higher (as -again- Chancer said 5:1)
and if that's a properly race prepped engine, you're not faint-hearted and you're willing to spend a hundred plus bucks on a proper racing clutch; that'd still work work nicely;
still you'll not having fun on a parking lot with that kart.. firstly because there is no cruising speed (exaggerated: it's either fast or standing still) secondly any left hand turn will feel awkward because of your offset chassis.

'sid
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
I'm just getting started and I have a 5 hp Briggs flathead racing engine that run off methanol.. I have a chassis, tires and just about everything else I need except a clutch and throttle cable.. I'm asking for some knowledge and help on get the right everything a maximizing the most power and durability out of the engine and frame.. Any and all input will be really appreciated..

Are you planning on racing at an oval-kart track, or just riding around on parking lots and stuff for fun?

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

ah right turns only!

nice kart... for an oval track; too bad it sucks in all other occasions :(

While it's true the frame-flex characteristics of an offset chassis will always favor left hand turns, they can typically be modded to turn right nearly as well as left by installing a non-staggered tire set, adjusting the seat over further to the right to achieve a 50/50% (side to side) weight bias and re-adjusting the right side caster/camber angles to match the left.
 

James88

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
It has a 66t sprocket on it now with 12x8.00-6 maxxis tires.. And yes I plan on taking it to a oval track.. I have access to a private oval track nearby and there are a few in the surrounding areas where I'm at... I also am hooked up with a go kart parts supplier here in town that I've known for a while.. I'm really only rebuilding the kart because I'm just making it a project for me and my girlfriends son..

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4qtKhQooAQ&feature=share
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
My ex was from Pascagoula...but we visited some relatives in. Mobile Alabama while vacationing in her home town...beautiful country down there...and lots of good folks!
 

James88

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
it is great on the beaches and most everyone down here has southern hospitality and will hold the door open for you.. Lol
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Yeah....found that out....unfortunately, ...seemed like law enforcement was all too happy to close it behind me....JK....(didn't happen) ....But yeah....Southern Hospitality didn't get its rep without a foundation in reality!
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
You know....Chancer...we're having a lot of fun with the bless your heart thing...but in all seriousness...every older Southern woman I've ever met truly meant it as an expression of sympathy....

Just recently....east Texas was hit hard by hail and tornadoes....discussing it with my mom...she said :"I know....bless their hearts."

Do you REALLY think my mom meant "you're a dumbazzz" for people that had suffered catastrophe beyond their control?

Just want to keep the record straight!

If you want a direct translation: it means : "I feel sorry for you." Now you can put that to watever meaning you want....if you want to add :"because you're an idiot "....it certainly fits....but it's generally reserved for heartfelt sympathy around here....usually only used in the context of the above....when actually bad things happen that are out of control of the person involved.
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
Cool track James, is that a 1/10 mile?

I'd get a 12 tooth clutch for that track, the Noram GE Ultimate would be a good choice unless you wanna step up to one of the more expensive disc clutch models.

66-tooth axle sprocket might work out alright on that track but you should prolly start shopping around for a racekart tach (w/head-temp gauge) to help get your gearing/fuel mixture dialed in.

You should check out bobs4cycle forums, they have a 'flatheads forever' section with lots of cool info about racing your engine on oval tracks.

Do you already know about the specialty-oils and additional maintenance needed when running methanol fuel?

Did the previous owner tell you what brand of oil he was running in your engine?
Some of the brands of racekart oils don't mix and can cause serious lubrication problems when mixed with the leftover residue of other brands of oil. (you could flush your engine out with mineral spirits to clean out all of the old oil when changing brands)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top