im back with gearing questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
so,im back. ill explain in other thred. ok, so i have a mower with 4 inch front pulley and a 9 on the back, i need to know how to calculate speed in 6th gear. currently it take 22 revs of the 9in pulley to make the 18in tire go 1 rev. i thought ide use a 10in pulley front and 2 inch on transaxel to give me crazy speed. what gear ratio could i use to get the best top end speed? low end can be slowcause i still mow with it.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
even with a custom double spring tensioner pulleys? if not then what would you say is a good ratio? and how do i calculate?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I'd say something like 6" on motor, 4" on transaxle. Going fast on a mower sounds fun till you do it. Your going to need to tighten up the steering, weld or bolt your front axle so it doesnt pivot, and make yourself a gas pedal and some better brakes before i'd even consider it. My mower does about 25, but i've done so much work to it that its almost not sketchy. I have virtually no slop in my steering, brakes that lock up any time, and a good gas pedal, and my friends still wont do what i do with it.

Generally nothing smaller than 4" will work great for drive pulleys. think about it, the larger the pulley the more surface area you have for your belt to contact and vice versa.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
allright,now i just have to get a 6in pulley for the front.or make one. i calculated(googled) that (3600 x 18)/(7 x 4/6 x 336) equals 18.5ish in mph, and thats just at 3600rpm, at 4200 it will go like 20-25. the reason i need speed is i use mower for transport out to the back feild, and the road to it is like 10 acres long. and im also mechani-clinicaly insane and want every thing with a motor to go very fast. i just wish there was a good tut. on gov. removle from common briggs lawn mower engines.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Honestly, when it comes right down to it, every governor removal boils down to the same thing. Drain oil, open 'case, ID and remove governor guts, sort out gasket, reassemble, refill with oil, sort out new throttle linkage. Piece o' cake.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
yea, i see youtube people doin it. i just hope when i crack it open i dont get the displeasure of finding out that it has a plastic cam gear. but other than that, could i run at like 45000rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.