IJ Scores a Mini Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron John

Reaction score
Seems I can't walk by this thing in the garage without spending a few minutes on the old 'what-if?'.

I grabbed some stock that was laying around as I have been wondering how the new swing arm could lay out.

I inserted a long bolt through the stock swing arm mounts with a long piece of stock to that very well might be used as material for the new swing arms:

IMG_3740.jpg

As you can see, I have plenty of frame and tire clearance:

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

Also, I might not have to straighten the new swing arm parallel to the long axis of the bike. Note that the angle of the swing arm seems well within the range of the self-aligning bearing mounts. Not sure if this is best practice, though.

IMG_3743.jpg

To be continued....

Iron John

Reaction score
I have also been wondering how to simply add adjustability to the axle mounts on the new swing arm.

One idea is mocked up here - I will try my best to explain.

To pull this off I will need a pair of bearing mount brackets. I could make them, but they are only like $6 each and for that small sum I can deviate a tiny bit from my 'no expenditures' rule.

The square piece of aluminium in the photos simulates the bearing mounts.

If I weld angle iron to the top and bottom of the swing arm rail, I will have a channel that the bearing mount can slide in. I would then add a regular axle adjusting bolt.

What do you think? There are probably easier ways to do this; let's hear them.

IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

Lastly, I found this old intake in my parts bin. I think it's from a Tecumseh. I wonder if I can adapt this for my Briggs since I am ditching the stock Briggs fuel-tank-as-carb-bowl craziness.

IMG_3746.jpg

Iron John

Reaction score
I'm moving faster than you guys can keep up. I took another look and I can use the stock swing arm. It clears the tire, and if you recall, it has been tweaked closed, probably by someone stomping the bike with no rear tire.

I am not sure if I will add to the center or ends of the stock swing arm. I need to add a good 9".

I will slow down now to give you all a chance to comment, question, and suggest.

Iron John

Reaction score
What are you guys, asleep?

Found a rear fender - it's a front fender from some Hardley Dangerous:

IMG_3786.jpg

I was thinking of slightly stretching the frame a bit wider at the rear, where the upper end of the coilovers attach. Doing so will give more chain clearance down below. It might also let me leverage those upper mounts to attach the forward end of the fender.

Iron John

Reaction score
OK, forget everything I said about how I could do the swing arm. I came up with a better idea.

Iron John

Reaction score
In a nutshell, I can use the stock swing arm. Just lop off the ends. Add an extension on each side, straight back. Slot the ends so my existing bearing retainers can slide back and forth an inch or so. Add adjuster bolt, ala the K-man. Done and done, with less fabrication and a lower parts count. And I won't have to spend $12.

I will definitely spread the frame up top so the fender can fit in there. That will give me some more chain clearance as a bonus.

No pictures, so dreamscape it all in your mind's eye. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.