Identifying a Old Tecumseh 8hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupiter Spunk

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I recently bought a used go kart for the boy and I to work on/play with. It runs ok but I want to do some tuning to the engine. New muffler, needs an air filter etc.

I am trying to find out what model the engine is. The usual stickers that have the engine model do not list it. Only the oil type.
There is a metal plate under the gas tank on the motor that simply is stamped "1055" which matches the tecumseh sticker on the front by the starter puller.

It looks similar to this, but is missing the metal cover over the carb.

Any Ideas?
 

Jupiter Spunk

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I wasn't seeing those, but I'll take a closer look when I get home. I'm going to take the engine off of the cart and take it down stairs in my house so I can clean the carb and the engine up.
 

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Messages
6,622
Reaction score
46
Location
Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
It's there. If housing was painted or is badly rusted, number may be difficult to locate/read.

Numbers in this pic can be clearly seen and identifies this particular engine to be Craftsman.
 

Jupiter Spunk

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
No luck, as far as I can tell, the engine has not been repainted. Still has original factory stickers (none of which indicate a model)

I cannot find anything etched into the metal like above except the timing on the block.
 

Jupiter Spunk

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I'll post some pictures later today. I was thinking an h80 also but wanted to be sure before buying some parts for it.
I'm going to start by cleaning out the carb, replacing the spark plug and seeing how she runs. Right now it tends to die when I hit the gas, or stutter.
 

Jupiter Spunk

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Sorry keep forgetting to take pictures. maybe tonight.

But I did find some new information on where the model # may be.

"On the older Tecumseh engines the numbers were usually stamped on the top of the shroud right along the front edge. (standing behind the blower)
If it has electric start the numbers are probably hidden by the starter button. If it's mounted on top of the engine like a lot of them are.
You'll have to remove the two screws and move it out of the way to see the numbers.
"

Thought I would share in case any others are having the same problem.

I'll check this tonight.
 

Jupiter Spunk

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
No luck on the model # underneath the starter.

I removed the carb and cleaned it. It actually was pretty clean to begin with.
Adjusted the idle screws and replaced the spark plug. the spark plug had alot of carbon on it.
Im hoping cleaning the carb will help with that.

I need to find an aircleaner, or adapter of some sort to fit onto the carb that will allow me to put on airfilter.

Pics coming soon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top