• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

I want to build a Seven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Reaction score
I dont know how many of you know what a Caterham 7 (or Lotus 7) is so I attached a picture.

Anyways I saw one of these for the first time a few years ago racing at Road Atlanta and I fell in love! My dream is to build my own but my searching hasn't been all that helpful... I cant seem to find any kit dealers. I figured in a great DIY community like this some one would probably know a thing or two about kit cars so what do you think? How do I go about getting a kit in the US? After I get it and build it what do I have to do to get it certified as road legal? (I know that one will be different based on location, currently I live in GA but im a college student so that could change after graduation...)

Thanks for any help you have!

If anyone has a kit car I would love to see it so post pics and some about it/the build!!

Attachments

• Caterham 160.jpg
    Caterham 160.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 8

J_Walker

Reaction score
the cars are kind of expensive.. for the only "Decent" powered one 310 BHP [looks like their race type] at $72,000 USD.. OUCH.. you could buy an build an MR2 with top of the line stage 3 parts and still not come close to 72,000..

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
You don't need 300hp to go fast with one of these cars. A 150hp 4 banger and 4.10 gears will make it a rocket. Some of them don't even weigh a ton, literally, they are under 2000lbs.

Nick, personally I'd buy the plans and build it completely from scratch yourself instead of paying some one else to cut the material.

OzFab

Reaction score
the cars are kind of expensive.. for the only "Decent" powered one 310 BHP [looks like their race type] at $72,000 USD.. OUCH..

You don't need 300hp to go fast with one of these cars. A 150hp 4 banger and 4.10 gears will make it a rocket. Some of them don't even weigh a ton, literally, they are under 2000lbs.

True but, its baby brother, the 160, sells for a mere $26,000US, powered by an 80hp turbocharged Suzuki 660cc 3 pot & weighing in at aroud 450kg

J_Walker

Reaction score
True but, its baby brother, the 160, sells for a mere $26,000US, powered by an 80hp turbocharged Suzuki 660cc 3 pot & weighing in at aroud 450kg

Ouch, that's it? sersiouly you can stick a GSXR 600 engine = 4 cylinder and pull about 150 with a turbocharger.. kinda my point on the whole "better to build your own, then to buy."

Nick

Reaction score
Doing a full build from plans would be my first choice but Im not much of a welder... Who knows though maybe by the time I have the money to do something like this Ill have the welding skills too.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Doing a full build from plans would be my first choice but Im not much of a welder... Who knows though maybe by the time I have the money to do something like this Ill have the welding skills too.

The welding skills will be much easier to come by than the money. ....make that priority #1.......Not saying it going to be that easy......just probably A little bit easier than drumming up money....and you need to do it anyway. .......

readymix

Reaction score
There is no reason a Seven clone should cost more than 10k for a serious build. 25k - 70k Caterhams and pre-builts are not the point of a 7 clone.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Sports-Little-£250/dp/1859606369

Get that book, or the more updated version that was written in the last decade. It isn't necessarily a how-to guide as it is a car building bible. There are plans included in the book, but you will need to improvise at times. I believe the donor car they call for in that book isn't available in the US, but alot of locost-7 builders use Miatas as donors.

If you shop around, junkyard dive, and bargain hunt, there is no reason you couldn't get a running car put together for under 5k.

readymix

Reaction score
I am currently trying to convince my wife into letting me destroy the garage on another project and build a 7 clone.
My best advice is, go search google for locost 7 builds, look through dozens of them. It'll give you an idea of what you're in for and what is involved. Some of the people suck at documenting what they do, but every build site you look at is just more information for your brain to process.

Status
Not open for further replies.