I wanna build a drag mini/pocket/supermini bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
I think i wanna go DIRECT DRIVE. or at least i mean a gear mounted to the motor and a gear mounted the the axel and nothing but a chain between them, maybe a type of chain tensioner or a jackshaft. I dont know does anybody have and pro's or con's ? i figure with a direct drive i can push start it or whatever, seeing i only plan to use it for quick straight runs i figure it is defenitely in my price range :D about $25 for a couple sprockets but cheaper if i can use what i have here.

i have also been working on the cat scat frame, thats the first pic of the frames, that one has a larger engine compartment. I am not sure if i should lengthen the frame but ill probably try to keep it the original size and just use a smaller 2stroke motor. one of the mac's im working on should produce 9-11 hp and that would fit in there with room to spare for another if i could ever find another cheap block. the block i have for this one now is locked up so im waiting to free that and get a mig welder from santa and ill be in business to put some mounting plate for the two stroke on there.

since its a vintage minibike im not sure if i wanna weld it up too badly so i dont loose the nostalgia of it. but im torn since it was actually made in taiwan and retagged usa im not really sure if it would matter if i hacked it up a bit.

im in the process of sandblasting and putting primer on the frame now. I havnt decided on what type of blue im gonna use but i know its gonna be blue. i was thinking a super heavy metal flake paintjob on the frame and tank and doing accessories in flat black.

anybody got any suggestions on colors even, types of blues and blacks mainly. i also like the fluorescent blue is nice too but im not sure which would look better on the bike.

designing is sooooo tough, its hard to pick what goes well with what. which handbag will go best with the tank, i just dont know
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
I usually just let my wife decide which handbag goes with my outfit. She is much better with these things than I am.....:rolleyes:
boy dont i know it, my girl dresses me well.

I have primered the frame and getting ready to paint her. im gonna paint the basic frame a bright blue and the handle bars and accents gloss black. i remembered that flat black is a dust magnet and only looks good the first day you painted it.

is there a sealer i can use that will preserve the flat paint but not ad any gloss to it???
 

n1kogr

New member
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Location
Mass

Attachments

  • 66615_1439933603933_5250838_n.jpg
    66615_1439933603933_5250838_n.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 73443_1439919803588_3555570_n.jpg
    73443_1439919803588_3555570_n.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 73443_1439919843589_5371793_n.jpg
    73443_1439919843589_5371793_n.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 73443_1439919883590_5542947_n.jpg
    73443_1439919883590_5542947_n.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 73443_1439919923591_2514937_n.jpg
    73443_1439919923591_2514937_n.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 10
  • 32128_1308555839571_3130101_n.jpg
    32128_1308555839571_3130101_n.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 73443_1439919763587_8363378_n.jpg
    73443_1439919763587_8363378_n.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Messages
278
Reaction score
1
Location
FL
Use a Hilliard Extreme-Duty Clutch, They can handle really hard acceleration and also can handle slipping pretty well. I used them on my motorized bicycle and they lasted a long time.
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
Use a Hilliard Extreme-Duty Clutch, They can handle really hard acceleration and also can handle slipping pretty well. I used them on my motorized bicycle and they lasted a long time.




I am looking into a used one that needs a new sprocket put on it but comes with it, and the guy said it needs a bushing. $30 for it.

are the those clutches repairable?

if they are ill try to get a hold of the guy and grab it.
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
lol, i bet it is really fast. Do the fenders fit on it with the motor there??? i figure either you didnt get any with it or they were left off for circulation of air.

Is that a Cateye fs509 frame? also i was wondering if you used the original rims for the wheels or are those a different type? i am debating between using some parts off a cat eye or parts i pulled from a chinaquad, like the disk brake

I am likely gonna use a loud 2stroke for mine. i believe it produces 5.9hp for 80cc's but when im finished im hoping it will give me 7-11hp.

i cant believe for $350 that it hasnt sold. i think its bad a$$
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
no more just typing about it , i have started the project . i finished my pops mc49 for his xmas gift. so i started tearing another chainsaw up to get the motor for my superdragminibike, soon i will have to name the project

the frame had some rust spots and two rewelds so im gonna clean them up so their not so ugly and get her painted hopefully in the net week or two. then i wanna price having a few parts chromed if i can get them in decent enough shape to be chromed.. i either wanna put dual macs on it or just mod the pi$$ out of the motor for my drag bike.

im hoping to have some day 1 pics up very soon
 

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Messages
278
Reaction score
1
Location
FL
i cant believe for $350 that it hasnt sold. i think its bad a$$

If I had the $$$$, I would quickly buy that bike without any hesitation.

Too bad I just put ~$300 into the Kart I restored. I would rather have the bike. :iagree:
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
If I had the $$$$, I would quickly buy that bike without any hesitation.

Too bad I just put ~$300 into the Kart I restored. I would rather have the bike. :iagree:
yeah its hard to believe that bike with the clone motor on it hasnt sold yet. it would sell around here for sure, i guess it all has to do with demographics.

i wish i could get it, id like to run my dragbike against it when i finish it. 2stroke vs. 4cycle fight to the death
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
yay, Santa brought me the budget mig welder i asked for. I am hoping it will melt enough to stick some metal together and start this project.

I think i have completed building the motor and need to blast and paint the shrouds so its all purty, and i hope to be starting on the frame in a day or two :D yay
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
I'm working on making mount system to connect a mini quad torque converter to this 80cc Mac motor. With my new metal melter I feel like I can make anything and am gonna try. I'll sho pics if im not too embarrassed


Does anybody have any experience custom fitting these mini China toy torque converters, proving to be tougher than I imagined
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
I have decided to use a MC49 Clone motor and I took the mini Torque Converter from a Mini China Quad... now just to make them work. i hear they wont do well together but another person has told me heck yes they will work, since the shoes part of the clutch fits right inside the mini torque converter part where the clutch shoes would usually go, Not sure what that area is called.

I did however make an adapter today :D with my fancy dancy bargain barn mig welder. i build a part that bolts to the mac on the four bolts by the crank and connects to the torque converter housing in the same place where it would connect to the 49 cc motor. i had to make a box of some sorts since the bolt patterns didnt match up, the macs bolts are much closer together. I will post a pic up here shortly of what i made, i havnt ground it down or painted it yet, i figure ill get it to all hook up and work before i make it pretty, since i ding and gouge everything up anyway.

Im getting stoked, i decided to use the 1970 scat cat minibike frame for the project, it was missing the front fork but i happen to have a fork for a 69 50cc honda minibike that with some cutting and welding would fit nicely and would have the drum brake included, it even still has the cable on the fork for the brakes.

the frame is still being finished up, found some pits in it after primering it and now i decided to go ahead take the time and remove them and then primer it up again.

im just glad this thread will eventually have some pics that show some type, any type of progress other than talking about it.

p.s. i feel so cool making my own fancy adapter :D
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
Pics finally, try not to laugh at my welding im still on my first week of teaching me

ok i finally got some pics up


you can make jokes at my welds, i understand im using the under $100 welding unit and i have absolutely never used a mig welder before this week

this pic, i think is a pic of the part i build to hol dthe torque converter to the mac motor, now i gotta make a mount for the torque converter since i dont think i wanna let all the weight rest on the motor. also you can see part of the motor mount i made with it. Pic 1

here is another one, i named the part after the last pair of generic shoes i wore when i was a kid, they were XJ-900's (Pic 2-3)
 

Attachments

  • 1357532532623_zpscbce0513.jpg
    1357532532623_zpscbce0513.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1357486762752_zps258ad5c3.jpg
    1357486762752_zps258ad5c3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 1357487605258_zpsf7f6e4b2.jpg
    1357487605258_zpsf7f6e4b2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 6

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Hey....nice!!! You might just want to get all the rust out of that clutch bell before you use it.

I read in another thread that someone used a TC of a scooter with a normal clone motor (I think), and they had problems with the clutch engaging cos the clutch was meant for an engine that revved much higher and therefor had a higher engagement RPM. Are you sure your TC engages soon enough for your engine?
 

beansdaddy78

JR. Member
Messages
565
Reaction score
2
Location
Carbondale IL.
nope not sure at all, im going off the fact that another guy i talke to through a forum says that he has made a chainsaw clutch work without problem, said worst case i can swap the springs and trim the shoes a bit

i just wanna see if i can make it work

i also have about 6 different types of clutches i can test through to see which might work best

im pretty sure these mac motors rev at a high RPM so im hoping i should be fine, i figure it came from a 49cc 2stroke and im just bumping it up to an 80cc 2stroke. at least i hope its that simple :D either way im married to the project now, :D i aint throwing my crappy looking masterpiece away lol and i have to know if it would work even if i have to mix up my shoes and springs to find a combo that might work

I will make sure i clean the TC very well before i attempt to use it, i just pulled it off a miniquad and so far have been using it to size things up and figure out where to put things. hopefully ill get the TC mount made today, i just dont wanna rest all the torque and weight on the mac mount i made (since im sure my quality of welding blows, first week learning)

thanks for the heads up landuse
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top