I think I may have come up with a working multi-gear transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

cojaro

Reaction score
Holy crap.

Now I never said it would be cheap, but I think I may have it!

Ok, to simplify things and not confuse y'all, think of this:
(sprocket = sprkt)

engine sprkt ---(chain)---secondary sprkt (tensioner)
third sprkt ---(chain)--- axle sprkt

(secondary sprkt and third sprkt are on the same axle)

This would be the setup for the "clutch" so to speak. Essentially what disengages the engine from driving the axle.

Now, I hope I don't confuse you. Around that secondary sprkt there it a tensioner sprkt which is a larger size than the secondary sprkt and therefore has a bigger diameter.

Understand so far? Good.

Now, that tensioner is connected to a rotating arm whose other axis is on the same axle that the secondary and third sprkts are on. To disengage, in some way shape or form that arm is pushed away from the engine. Doing so releases the chain from the secondary sprkt and the engine is no longer driving the rear axle. It disengages because the tensioner sprkt has now taken the place of the secondary sprocket and the engine is driving the tensioner sprkt (the tensioner sprkt is bigger and, in a sense, "overtakes" the secondary sprkt). To engage, the arm is pulled towards the engine to that the secondary sprkt connects with the chain again.

Adding gears uses the same idea but I think I do not have the writing comprehension skills for it to make sense.

Adding the gears will add to the 2 sprkts and a tensioner for each gear. Not cheap, but would be very cool if this were to actually work. And it wouldeliminate the need for a clutch (unless you don't trust yourself about disengaging when braking and slowing down and stuff).

Comments?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is this kinda like a lawnmower engagement? Got a camera? Draw it and post it.

buzzwest

Reaction score
wow that would be cool!!!

yes i would like to see pics. that would be pretty sweet to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.