i need some input please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
I've a chance to get this engine for 200 bucks,think it would make a good kart motor ??I'll try and post a pic.. it's a 16 hp briggs flat head runs great no smoking
 

Attachments

  • 00v0v_6UoLtt7Kz6C_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_6UoLtt7Kz6C_600x450.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 15

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
Is that some kind of alternator attached to it?

That size engine most likely has a 1" diameter shaft, so clutches or TC's will be expensive.

I'm sure you could make it work but it may not be ideal. What kind of kart could these be for?
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
Yes 1" diameter ,2 1/4 long shaft, I'm thinking that's some electric motor attached to it for starting the motor,I'm planning on a custom build through the winter months,but just not sure fifths would be worth it..
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
I'm really not sure what I'd be getting my self into just to make it work as a kart motor ..such as a carb,removal of the governer and things like that..
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
what sort of kart do u have

dont forget to account for the weight

this thing will weight 25+ kg
and then u need a large battery

i don't see why it wont work otherwise
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I'm really not sure what I'd be getting my self into just to make it work as a kart motor ..such as a carb,removal of the governer and things like that..

What is wrong with the carb it has at the moment. There is also no need to remove the governor to use it as a kart motor.

Like fowler says, you will probably only need a battery to get it working as it should. There is no need to mess with the carb or governor unless you want to do some serious racing.
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
There's nothing wrong with anything runs great,just not sure what kinda speed I'd get with out removing the gouverner,for higher rpms..
 

zbuck

New member
Messages
781
Reaction score
3
Location
Ft. Wayne, IN
Yes 1" diameter ,2 1/4 long shaft, I'm thinking that's some electric motor attached to it for starting the motor,I'm planning on a custom build through the winter months,but just not sure fifths would be worth it..

:wai: That is a 6V/12V starter-generator. Most of them were Delco-Remys. Once it starts the starter side kicks out and the generator side kicks in to charge the battery. Any lawn tractor battery in the 300 amp range will be sufficent for starting. I can not tell from the picture if that engine has battery powered ignition or mag powered ignition. If the ignition is battery powered, you will need either a 6V/12V battery.
 

markymac

New member
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Location
new York
Any rough guesses what kinda mph i may get out of it, i know there's a lot of variables to take into consideration...
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Way too many variables. Since the vehicle does not exist yet, all we have is theory- and not even enough information to develop a theory. Let's say (out of thin air) 30-45MPH with a CVT.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top