I need help with a live axle bearing

bobbygo

Reaction score
I have this live axle setup:

The space between the mounting holes is 3" even. The axle is a 1/2" threaded.

Any recommendations on where I can source either a pillow flange bearing with the correct distance between mounting holes and correct size bore hole, or some other type of bearing setup for a live axle.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Any bearing shop should have a 2 hole bearing for that...
A biggest question is... IS that the axle you are using??? Redyrod isnt a good choice to be using for an axle... you need a key shaft???

Let see some more pics of your setup...

bobbygo

Reaction score
Thank you. You are the reason I joined this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience that people like you possess that I have yet to acquire. Here is a photo of the kart that I bought and am trying to get up and running:

I suppose that before I buy bearings I ought to decide on the correct sized axle. What do you recommend? I'd rather do it right than learn the hard way. I'd probably like to upgrade the tires while I am at it for a more stable kart.

Thank you for the generosity of your replies. I appreciate the help.

pearl111

Reaction score
If this was my kart I would look for a name label or research the kart for more info. to try and find the org. axle size. I'm sure there are bearings that will fit those brackets to hold the correct axle size. I don't think that 1/2" rod is correct axle. Also I'm sure someone here will get back with better info,

You could call GoPower Sports give them info on bracket hole dim. size and they my be able to help.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah that'd be nearly impossible..

that's a Pathwinder;
and while there are hundreds of pathwinders out there..
there's still little original information to find.

but it's not too difficult really it's a 1" axle and the rear wheel sit close to the frame rails..
one can make a good guess about axle length.

for all I know it's a step down 38" axle (azusa parto 1401-38 would fit)
and it runs in a two hole bearing flangette (azusa part no 8212)
that and some std 1" axle bearings (azusa part no 8211)
would make it complete (well some nuts and bolts..)

azusa parts can be found in any kart shop and mfgsupply.com

your shopping kart should look a little something like this:
pathwinder_rear_axle_set.jpg
(one axle, two bearings, four flangettes... that's mfgsupply btw, but doesn't matter where just what ;))

Check your hubs (both wheel, as well as sprocket&brake) to make sure they fit a 1" keyed axle
otherwise you need to order a matching replacement too.
since the original axle had the right rear wheel disabled at one point
(freely spinning on a turned down axle... basically rendereing it a dead axle) odd I know..
no way to find such modified axle in any shop.
So live axle it'll be ;)

'sid

bobbygo

Reaction score
Wow! This is amazing, thank you! The shopping cart is incredibly helpful! I have been trying to figure exactly this combination of things out and just didn't know enough. You ID'd the kart too which allowed me to do some more research to see what the original configuration looked like! I am very grateful! I hope to be like you and help others once I have more experience! Thank you!!!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
you're very welcome bobby...

Trying to help is always welcome, so yeah.. go for that :thumbsup:
but don't try to be like me ..
I bet others will surely agree that that might not always be a good idea :lolgoku:

Anyways, back to your kart;
as I briefly mentioned, Pathwinder at some point in time decided to render the live axle
inactive by turning down the axle on one end and installing a hub with bearings on the right rear wheel.
In case that is what you have,
That is a modification you cannot do at home (not without a huge lathe),
and an axle you cannot buy off any shelf;
having one specifically made will turn out to be more expensive than just buying a live axle hub and making it a true live axle again..

For that you need to check the wheel hubs closely.
Or in case of a doubt, post some pics of all your hubs here,
ideally use a caliper to check it's bores too ;)

'sid

bobbygo

Reaction score
Update

Thanks so much. Your question about the wheels inspired me to disassemble the entire threaded axle setup. When I took the wheels off, I noticed that a hub was welded on to the drivers side wheel (left rear) which was bolted to the sprocket. Its strange because this setup renders the live axle useless since you have direct drive between the sprocket and the left rear wheel. The axle would spin if either the left rear wheel or sprocket were attached to the axle I suppose but there were no clamps or collars as I found it.

I read some of the earlier posts where the above setup was considered desirable to avoid the recall issues related to having a live axle but it is not a setup I want to preserve. I will start with all new parts including new wheels as a result. The wheels are not setup to take a 1" live axle although I am sure by working on them I ought to be able to get them there. I just don't know that it will be worth the effort.

So my last question before I start ordering parts is what part do I need to order that allows the wheels I will buy to attach to the live axle?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
there are essentially two options..
a hubbed wheel for a 1" live axle,

or - which is what there has been on your kart originally -
a wheel hub for the 1" live axle (well two of course)
and matching (bolt hole pattern) wheels for said hub

step down hubs:
https://www.bmikarts.com/4-x-4-Wheel-Stepdown-Hub-1-step-down-to-34-Bore_p_1648.html
or
https://www.gopowersports.com/1-inner-with-3-4-step-down-live-axle-hub/

those will fit the above mentioned axle (and safe you the hassle of using collar locks...
there's even ones with a flange to take the drive sprocket and or brake assembly..

and matching wheels (6" are original AFAIR) can be found in the respective shops too.

'sid