i have a brake issue

64cyclone

Reaction score
i have a 70s f1 gokart and it uses this style of brakes and was sure if i should keep using or ditch and do a diffrent styleGOPR0862.JPG

Rat

Reaction score
Stopping a gokart with your feet is dangerous, just dont do that.
It destroys shoes
You could break an ankle or leg, or blow out a knee or worse.

It looks like some sort of drum brake. You could repair it and continue using it, but the drum (what I could make out) also looks badly worn and ribbed, so I'd update and upgrade.

Disc isn't really an option unless you want to do some fabricating, welding, and switch the wheels out as well... there's not even a guarantee you can find a drum to match your hubs.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That looks like a band brake and they do work good. You can still get drums for them. I would keep what you have if I was you.
It is frowned upon here to start more than one thread on a kart let alone the same problem.

pearl111

Reaction score
If this was my kart, and what you have pictured are original parts, or brake parts that came with the kart when you got it.
I would replace the worn/damaged parts for new.

If the brakes work, then you don't have to do any special fabrication or modifications.

JimD

Reaction score
More than likely the brake drum is FINE. The band will wear out several times before you ever have to think about replacing the drum. We use to make brake drums before the insurance company came in and told me we don't care how fast a go kart goes but if you make any device that stops them then we will not insure you. So the clutch drum could no longer be a brake drum and thus the beginning of where is common sense going was started on its downhill spiral. Made no sense since manufacturer will still wrap a brake band around a clutch drum which is pure dumb because if the chain breaks or falls off the sprocket all you are doing is stopping the clutch drum from spinning but I never question someone else's design, unless asked.

Last edited:

64cyclone

Reaction score
If this was my kart, and what you have pictured are original parts, or brake parts that came with the kart when you got it.
I would replace the worn/damaged parts for new.

If the brakes work, then you don't have to do any special fabrication or modifications.
Ok thank you i will try to get them working again with a new band. Then I will go from there!