I broke it... again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
It seems, with some semi rough use, all the bugs are coming to the surface on AusEx (it's had more use since I moved than the previous 2.5 years since building it)...

The latest issue is the steering shaft; the pitman arm broke where there was a cut-out in the original, before I modified it; the thing is, it broke at the edge of my welds so, I did away with the cut-out & joined it solid...

This is a good thing because:
1. it's now much stronger &
2. it shouldn't affect the steering any because the tie rods sat slightly low anyway...

The downside is, the shaft was chrome plated, which had to be removed to weld so, that section will now be matt black for now (the only colour I have available, I didn't bring all my paint with me)...

Attachments

• IMAG1353.jpg
    IMAG1353.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMAG1354.jpg
    IMAG1354.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMAG1357.jpg
    IMAG1357.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMAG1359.jpg
    IMAG1359.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 10

machinist@large

Reaction score
It seems, with some semi rough use, all the bugs are coming to the surface on AusEx (it's had more use since I moved than the previous 2.5 years since building it)...

The latest issue is the steering shaft; the pitman arm broke where there was a cut-out in the original, before I modified it; the thing is, it broke at the edge of my welds so, I did away with the cut-out & joined it solid...

This is a good thing because:
1. it's now much stronger &
2. it shouldn't affect the steering any because the tie rods sat slightly low anyway...

The downside is, the shaft was chrome plated, which had to be removed to weld so, that section will now be matt black for now (the only colour I have available, I didn't bring all my paint with me)...

:surrender: :surrender: Ouch!!!!!!!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Good thing it broke while I was sideways on a large patch of damp grass, nothing to hit :lolgoku:

Remind me not to give you a rubber mallet and a steel ball...:lolgoku:

I'll tell you though...losing steering is scary. I had a 70 Maverick ....I hit a bump... and suddenly..I was headed towards and 18 wheeler at 35 mph....and the steering wheel just spun!!!

I was lucky that I was able to tap the brakes...and the car pulled to the right...and I was able to ease it to a stop. The same situation on a Freeway...would have almost assuredly been very bad....if not fatal.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Cool story doug, But really its a go kart. Never gonna be on the Freeway.

OzFab

Reaction score
That would be scary, Doug; thankfully, I've never been in that situation...

To be honest, I didn't even realise it broke at first; I spun out & stopped, it wasn't until I turned the wheel to go again that I realised the issue... then I was like :oops:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score

OzFab

Reaction score
Yes, he mentioned a freeway but, he was saying that if his situation had taken place on a freeway, it would've been devastating... just as my situation would've been if I was on a track...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
That would be scary, Doug; thankfully, I've never been in that situation...

To be honest, I didn't even realise it broke at first; I spun out & stopped, it wasn't until I turned the wheel to go again that I realised the issue... then I was like :oops:

Thankfully...only once for me!!!! And yeah....I'd rather have a brake pedal go to the floor! I'm not kidding! (Actually I have lost brakes like that....and what made it worse was that a rear wheel cylinder had popped )...so pulling the emergency brake only effectively employed one rear drum brake.

But...YEAH!!! Pretty freaky when the steering wheel just spins like a roulette wheel!

At least without brakes you can control your direction!!!

machinist@large

Reaction score
Thankfully...only once for me!!!! And yeah....I'd rather have a brake pedal go to the floor! I'm not kidding! (Actually I have lost brakes like that....and what made it worse was that a rear wheel cylinder had popped )...so pulling the emergency brake only effectively employed one rear drum brake.

But...YEAH!!! Pretty freaky when the steering wheel just spins like a roulette wheel!

At least without brakes you can control your direction!!!

Just for the record, if you had cable actuated parking brakes (if you have anything built in ~the last 25 to 35 year's in North America, you don't have emergency brakes), a sudden gush of DOT 3 brake fluid wouldn't cause you to have zero braking like gear oil would. Potentially scary/dangerous? Most likely. But if the rest of the system was in good condition (I.E. the rear shoes were in adjustment, and the equalizer assembly for the cable's wasn't maxed out one way or the other,) you would have had at least partial control on that side. Just an FYI.....

P.S. that's based on dual master cylinder, front/rear brake system design: if you were driving something with the killer single master cylinder system (any leaks, you're toast )(and yes, they were used well into the 1960's in North America) then you had every right to be :censored: scared........ :surrender:

OzFab

Reaction score
I did it again, this time, the chain broke, not once but twice...

Attachments

• IMAG1384.jpg
    IMAG1384.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1385.jpg
    IMAG1385.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 3

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Maybe he lost the connecting link? That would possibly cause that.

Or freerunner put it together for him.

OzFab

Reaction score
WOW! How does that happen?

I started driving, then it stopped moving & the engine was revving too high :huh:

Maybe he lost the connecting link? That would possibly cause that.

Impossible, there is no masterlink...

Or freerunner put it together for him.

Umm, no...

As I said, it broke twice; it broke, I fixed it, then it broke again after moving about 100' :huh: It was new when I built the kart...

I had it shipped from California, maybe that's the issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.