I am new to karting and would like to keep the cost of my first kart low and see if I want to get into the hobby.

Sandmanbjj

Reaction score
I jumped in with a trashed carter bros talon 150. It was an absolute nightmare. I wish I had this thread to read prior to starting. I made every mistake you all have pointed out.
I had no experience, tried to completely restore a complicated gy6 motor and electrical system. I bought so many parts without having a plan or a clue. I bought a 30 series tc for it.... learned very quickly it had nothing to do with the gy6 motor. I wasted so much time and effort and money.
Not I have a 1 wheel peel kart and I'm restoring a buggy... but trashed the gy6 and have a predator 459 for it. Simplifying and improving. This forum is an absolute God send for me.

G.W

Reaction score
I jumped in with a trashed carter bros talon 150. It was an absolute nightmare. I wish I had this thread to read prior to starting. I made every mistake you all have pointed out.
I had no experience, tried to completely restore a complicated gy6 motor and electrical system. I bought so many parts without having a plan or a clue. I bought a 30 series tc for it.... learned very quickly it had nothing to do with the gy6 motor. I wasted so much time and effort and money.
Not I have a 1 wheel peel kart and I'm restoring a buggy... but trashed the gy6 and have a predator 459 for it. Simplifying and improving. This forum is an absolute God send for me.
I'm lucky I had ni money to work with when I started my kart, Soni had time to learn what I needed. The only waisted money are parts I ordered that where labeled wrong.

panchothedog

Reaction score
You made the right choice ( in my opinion ) by going with a predator style engine. Dependable and easy to work on. Your statement about the gy6 style engine is exactly the same as mine . Nightmare.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Hey G.W. I agree, the style of the engine is fine . 40 years ago I owned a few of the Honda 3 wheelers. I believe that is the engine the gy6 is copying. They ran great, but were simple carburated pull start engines much like the predator style engine is today. The way the gy6 powered karts of today are sold, with electronic fuel injection, electricly controlled neutral safety switches and a host of other gadgets just waiting to go wrong, Nightmare seems to fit the description. Some of the pictures I see posted on this forum, the wiring harness,
or rats nest makes me dizzy just looking at it.

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
Hey G.W. I agree, the style of the engine is fine . 40 years ago I owned a few of the Honda 3 wheelers. I believe that is the engine the gy6 is copying. They ran great, but were simple carburated pull start engines much like the predator style engine is today. The way the gy6 powered karts of today are sold, with electronic fuel injection, electricly controlled neutral safety switches and a host of other gadgets just waiting to go wrong, Nightmare seems to fit the description. Some of the pictures I see posted on this forum, the wiring harness,
or rats nest makes me dizzy just looking at it.
It evades me why anyone would want or need EFI on a kart. Or, for that matter, many of the "features" on those karts.

Master Hack

Reaction score
It evades me why anyone would want or need EFI on a kart. Or, for that matter, many of the "features" on those karts.
In my opinion a simple TBI EFI system is the best thing to happen to gas engines since carbs. They can run upside down, self adjust 50kazillion times a minute, are reliable and cheap. Way better than the best carb for offroad use.
my $.02 but i’m weird.

Sandmanbjj

Reaction score
My point was jumping in and not knowing anything I had no plan and no clue. I hope the OP here gets the message. It's not a cheap hobby after you get a frame or a running kart. Even my 1 wheel peel Kart I had to put new tires, bearings, carb, seat. So what started out as $150 for a "cheap" kart I ended up with $500 in parts plus time and effort. I couldn't leave well enough alone and bought a 30 series TC. Then had to make a new engine mount to make space... because if it's fast... then faster is better. Lol.

G.W

Reaction score
In my opinion a simple TBI EFI system is the best thing to happen to gas engines since carbs. They can run upside down, self adjust 50kazillion times a minute, are reliable and cheap. Way better than the best carb for offroad use.
my $.02 but i’m weird.
I've looked into those Holly efi bolt on setups. I was curious wat size engine they can go on. I don't want to buy one and have it not work.