Hydraulic Brakes

$jay

Reaction score
Can someone give me advice on why this wilwood brake system won't stop my kart. I've bleed all the air out. Don't know if maybe the line is too long, or pads are junk or what.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
The length of that line should not affect it. Does the pedal feel firm or spongy? Maybe you got some oil or brake fluid on it? Clean/scuff/clean the rotor and pads and see what happens. Brakes generally need to "bed in" also before they'll work their best. The only other thing I can think of is if the motor is still trying to push the cart? It all looks brand new so i dont see why it shouldn't work

Brisketends

Reaction score
Just keep pumping it! Also, just make sure you have full range of piston collapse on the master cylinder. Everything looks fine from the pictures. Clean the rotor with some brake cleaner and scotch Brite to roughen up the clamping surface. Good luck buddy. Kart looks nice!

mckutzy

Reaction score
IS that a floating caliper or disc???
That almost look like that is a 2 pot system and that would mean you need a Y or a crossover pipe for the fluid in both halves...

$jay

Reaction score
I reverse bleed these brakes because I was having trouble getting the air out. Pedal is solid now. These brakes aren't floaters. Wilwood claims they have a spring load system inside to release the pads. They do not drag. I never thought about running another line over to the bleeder screw. But then where do I install the bleeder? What you see in the pics is how they came. After I got these I was wondering why there was only one bleeder on the opposite side of the brake line.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Bizarre... I tried to look up these, couldnt find an instruction manual for this type...

Maybe they have an internal crossover...Im not sure..

The more kart experts will have to chime in on this one..

$jay

Reaction score
Its keyed. What you see in that pic is not the slot but the key sticking up. I looked at the pic to and went out to the garage to see if I did lose it... lol. Almost wish that was the case.... would be embarrassing but an easy fix.. Haha

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Slight possibility the master cylinder is the wrong bore size for the caliper. Though symptoms of that would usually be a very stiff pedal. I would keep bleeding it to make sure. Wish you could just pull the caliper off the rotor and see if it does close and open, but that could cause issue.

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Why not just gravity bleed? Put a pan under it, open the bleeder and carry on with something else, as long as you keep the master topped up so no air gets in it will work itself out.

$jay

Reaction score
Okay so let me ask this question. Is anyone familiar with the dual line MCP brakes? Im thinking that would be a better system and just chalk this up to experience.

anderkart

Reaction score
Did your rotor come with your caliper in a kit?

If not, I was thinking your caliper might be designed for a vented rotor that's a lot thicker; and this might be resulting in your caliper reaching its max limit of travel before the pads can apply sufficient braking force.

I know some racekart calipers require shims installed between the piston and backing plate of the pad to help compensate for rotor thickness & pad wear...

Kartorbust

Reaction score
It appears to be an SC1 Wilwood caliper, which takes up to a 9" diameter rotor at 1/4" thickness.