Husqvarna two stroke

Karttekk

Reaction score
And by the look of the piston, it's worn through.

Only one way to find out if it's worn through. If so, toss it; if not, hone it.

Karttekk

Reaction score
What does madprofessor say? By the way, I recently bought new torque converter parts from jeremywell. Good prices and quick shipping. Thanks for the tip!

Karttekk

Reaction score
See what happens with the oil test. If it runs you might possibly be okay. Check the cylinder wall for wear through as karl mentioned. Maybe you can pick up a short block then swap everything over.

Barîb

Reaction score
Yes, I’ve found the parts I need, but I am confused. Are you saying even after buying the parts it probably won’t be run?

FlyFrog

Reaction score

Barîb

Reaction score
No, if you buy the parts it should run unless your oil/fuel ratio is terribly off, if you cant machine the cylinder walls just buy the head and piston, its a little more expensive $$$ but its a bit more cheaper if you dont have all the equipment

Husqvarna Part Number 502848701 Cylinder

ENGINERUN 44MM Piston Piston Ring Kit - Compatible with Husqvarna 150BF 150BT 350 BT Backpack Leaf Blower OEM 502849601

Certainly don’t have that kind of equipment so I guess I’ll be purchasing. I am running ethanol free premix now, as previous owner(s) trashed the piston and cylinder running 87 unleaded.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
No! That cylinder can NOT be honed you will just wipe out the new piston in short order. You need to replace the cylinder also!

Barîb

Reaction score
Yeah I was planning to just buy a new piston head and cylinder anyways. It’ll save me money and time in the long run.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
If you insist on paying what it takes to fix that engine, it will include a new jug to go with a new piston and rings.
New head? It's not like the valves in the head have destroyed the guides, there aren't any. Reed valves that might warp from extreme overheating or break outright maybe, an easy fix, or a simple disc, that's all. Why a new head?
EDIT: By the way, how about the connecting rod? With a piston scored that badly, I'd suspect play at the piston, maybe even at the crank.

jmaack

Reaction score
rebuild is like 50 bucks. would be fun to learn but I'd find something else.

Barîb

Reaction score
rebuild is like 50 bucks. would be fun to learn but I'd find something else.
Why should I find something else? I mean that in the politest tone possible, but why? It’s a two stroke (I’ve wanted to do a two stroke build for a while) it’s high rpm so easy to gear and make high torque (without creating a power issue) and it will only cost me 50 bucks to rebuild. Is there something I’m missing, I mean, genuinely, why pay 60 bucks for another junker when I can fix this for $50 (well really $80)? Many of the posts in here suggest this to be quite doable even for a beginner like myself, yet they also say I should just scrap it. I want this engine to work, I’m fine if it costs me $80 to rebuild as it fits my bike project well. If the parts do n’t help then I can clean them and return them or sell them to someone else.

jmaack

Reaction score
Based on some of the questions asked. I would say experience wise from what I read best to find running and good condition and learn on the first one.

Karttekk

Reaction score
If the cylinder wall looks okay go for it. If it's scored or worn through toss it. If the cylinder wall is okay and you decide to buy parts, check the piston ring end gap to make sure you're within spec. I think something like 4 to 6 thousandths is average. Push a ring into the cylinder with the top of the piston, make sure it's square in the bore then measure the gap. It all depends on the condition of the cylinder.

Barîb

Reaction score
I have no issue replacing the cylinder, it's actually cheaper than the piston head. As madprofessor said, even if the cylinder wall doesn't look awful, there's a very slim chance that just the piston head was damaged. If I replace both, I greatly reduce the risk of having to buy yet another piston head. More expensive now, potentially cheaper in the long run. I will diagnose the condition of piston. I will definitely buy new rings, and I'll have to see about the connecting rod. Should there be any play at all in the connecting rod by the crankshaft (not up and down but left or right). How much play is necessary? If the crankshaft is ruined (I don't think it is) then the engine is as good as junk.