Hurray for new tools!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHen

Reaction score

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
I got this same set too, and to be honest, it is a disappointment.
Not only are most of the small sizes out of spec, but there is some duplication...which translates to missing bits.
If you're doing any precision drilling, make sure to mic them up first.
Perhaps you'll have better luck.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Now that I've had my transfer punch set for a few years, I can't figure out how I ever survived without them!

DOB accurate holes in brackets, sprockets- whatever you have to drill out to match another part!

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
Now that I've had my transfer punch set for a few years, I can't figure out how I ever survived without them!

DOB accurate holes in brackets, sprockets- whatever you have to drill out to match another part!

DOB?

Ha, I had never heard of a 'transfer punch.' What a brilliant idea, gonna have to get some of them!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Dead On B@!!s accurate. For those not in the know, it's a set of straight (non-tapered) punches in a range of sizes. Each one has a sharp point on the end. You use it to find the exact centre of an existing hole. To draw an example- I had to fit a new sprocket to an older differential with a 2-and-2 bolt pattern (not evenly spread). Instead of having to take 8 million measurements and hoping I got the bolt hole centres right- because you can't undrill something very well- I lined up the new sprocket against the old one and clamped together. A punch was selected that fit the existing holes with as little slop as possible, and tapped with a hammer. The clamps were removed, and the new sprocket clamped to the drill press. Presto- perfectly aligned holes, the first time- And quickly, too!

Rustydog2010

Reaction score
Speaking of new tools. Having just started my apprenticeship its time where I spend thousands on new tools. I just went a brought all my sockets, 1/4', 3/8' and 1/2'. That includes deep reach, hexs, impact, extensions, drive tools, etc. I believe that you need quality. That said I chose to go with Proto tools. All up it cost just over $4000NZD at a 55% discount. Thats close to $9000NZD. :worried2:

For you Americans thats $3300USD and $7500USD respectively.

fowler

Reaction score
i got all kincrome spanners sockets becuase they are lost the most and are easy to replace
prybars rachects long spanners from Snapon
because they have a lifetime warrenty and will replace anything no questions asked

and alll my specialty tools from cat (touque wrenches air tools)
because they are cheap

and an SP 1/2dirve rattle gun

in aus the government will give me money each year for my tools
$800 1st year
$1000 2nd
$1000 3rd
$1200 4th
$1500 5th

and the company i work for is giving me $2500 for tools this week

pretty dam good i rekon so i can start getting some 3/4 stuff

JHen

Reaction score
They also make transfer screws:

sexyvicta

Reaction score
Speaking of new tools. Having just started my apprenticeship its time where I spend thousands on new tools. I just went a brought all my sockets, 1/4', 3/8' and 1/2'. That includes deep reach, hexs, impact, extensions, drive tools, etc. I believe that you need quality. That said I chose to go with Proto tools. All up it cost just over $4000NZD at a 55% discount. Thats close to $9000NZD. :worried2:

For you Americans thats $3300USD and $7500USD respectively.

Depreciate them every year, the depreciation is tax deductable until they hit scrap value. IRD website has depreciation rates for this stuff. Dunno how you'd go about it(or if its possible for you), as i'm guessing you're an employee not a contractor? but either way its still a cost you've incured in the quest to make money.

talk to an accountant and find out if its possible for you to claim it anyway. Most will give 30mins of free advice.

tools you may be able depreciate between 10-30% a year. tax creditZ yo

Rustydog2010

Reaction score
Depreciate them every year, the depreciation is tax deductable until they hit scrap value. IRD website has depreciation rates for this stuff. Dunno how you'd go about it(or if its possible for you), as i'm guessing you're an employee not a contractor? but either way its still a cost you've incured in the quest to make money.

talk to an accountant and find out if its possible for you to claim it anyway. Most will give 30mins of free advice.

tools you may be able depreciate between 10-30% a year. tax creditZ yo

Step ahead brother! On the farm we have something like 12,000 pine trees. We have diggers, tractors, etc. So we are thinking of setting up a business selling firewood. This means we can claim tax back on petrol, diesel, tools and other stuff. :D

sexyvicta

Reaction score
^mean. Yeh i claim on everyhting i buy its sweet. Tools/assets under 500 are fully depreciable in first year/like an expense. Bought a weedeater for $499 last year lol

fowler

Reaction score
u can claim almost anything on tax when u are on a farm

iv known people who,ve claimed boats as used for rescueing sheep in dams (even if the boat wont fit in the dam)

my buggy is a sheep chasing vehical

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
My great uncle had the equipment salesman list his riding lawnmower and tow-behind leaf collector as a tractor and a wagon. A few months later the guy called and asked him to pay the tax, he was being audited:roflol:

Status
Not open for further replies.