• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Human Kindness Lives On!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Guys- I want to share this with you. When life kicks your @ss and you think that there's not one good soul left on earth... Read on:

I have a line on a little 4x4 diesel compact tractor that needs some transmission work. Might be a cool project. The seller wants $850, which is a good deal for what it is. I have been communicating with him back and forth, and was supposed to have the tractor bought by the 14th, but I simply can't afford it right now. I'm self-employed, and some payments due to me have not yet come in. I told him I was NOT going to be able to buy it (on time) and I'd have to HOPE he had it later, when I could afford it. This was his response,

"Dear Chris,
I've been thinking, and what I really want is the tractor gone. Spring is coming and I need the room in my shop for working. Now most guys who want to fix old tractors are usually good people, and it feels to me like you have been straight with me.
So, I am proposing you come and pick this tractor up and take it home. Then when you have the money you send me a cheque. Also bring a memory stick to download the parts and service manuals."

Is this not a danged kind soul or what? And I have never met him!

OzFab

Reaction score
There's not many but, there's still one or two around. I had a similar situation recently: I bought a push mower (or what's left of it) on ebay for $6, got his address &, because it was in the area, went to pick it up when I was taking the little princess home. Knocked on the door a few times but no answer; I tried calling on the phone, still no answer...

When I got home I sent him an email. He replied, apologising profusely saying that he was at home but didn't hear anyone knock. He also said that he had to come over my way in a weeks time if I could wait that long; no problem with me so the time was set.

A week later, he showed up as planned; we exchanged good for cash & started chatting. He then told me that his appointment was cancelled but, because he'd said he would bring it to me, he kept to his word...

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
That's great...

My eyes tricked on me when I read the forum topics..
I read "Human Kidneys..." boy, that made me jump :lolgoku:

Anyways.. good for you.
And for the PO too maybe ;)
I know that if something's wrong with his new tractor;
you'll be the one offering your help :thumbsup:

'sid

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
That's great...

My eyes tricked on me when I read the forum topics..
I read "Human Kidneys..." boy, that made me jump :lolgoku:

Anyways.. good for you.
And for the PO too maybe ;)
I know that if something's wrong with his new tractor;
you'll be the one offering your help :thumbsup:

'sid
Nope. I'm still short one kidney. I anticipate a continuation in that state.

Although Sid, I think you're still misreading things. It's ME who is getting the tractor and benefitting from this man's kindness (or kidneys?).

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. I'm still short one kidney. I anticipate a continuation in that state.
well, and that's what made me jump ;)

Although Sid, I think you're still misreading things. It's ME who is getting the tractor and benefitting from this man's kindness (or kidneys?).
well one old tractor must go.. he needs the room...

I'm thinking Sid's thinking he's replacing the tractor you got with a new one.
exactly what I was thinking... :D

'sid

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, you just don't get too many good people in this sick world anymore. It is always surprising when you meet one.

Isn't it sad that the situation is not the other way round. We should be surprised when we meet a jerk, not when we meet a kind person

Last edited:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Isn't it sad that the situation is not the other way round. We should be surprised when we meet a jerk, not when we meet a kind person

Paul, you are absolutely correct. It is a sad commentary on modern society when we are entirely gobsmacked by an act of kindness. And I'm not kidding. I had to read Murray's email TWICE and then let it sink in. The fellah wants $850 for this machine. So by letting a stranger take it and pay later, he is effectively loaning a complete stranger $850. Based on what? Well- he got a good impression of me, and has some faith in like-minded individuals.

We should all be so kind. But then again, we know what would happen. why?

I just had a "friend" rip me off for $50.

Last edited:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Nice. I drove out 100 miles today, and met the gentleman. Heck of a nice guy. Down to earth and decent. Spent quite a bit of time chewing the fat with him, loaded up, and drove the 100 miles home with yet another project...

Attachments

• 135d.jpg
    135d.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 11

machinist@large

Reaction score
Nice. I drove out 100 miles today, and met the gentleman. Heck of a nice guy. Down to earth and decent. Spent quite a bit of time chewing the fat with him, loaded up, and drove the 100 miles home with yet another project...

:thumbsup: :cheers2: Nice!!! What HP, and how many gears is it supposed to have? I could be wrong, but it looks like it maybe has a Category I three point? And hopefully the cash flow gets it's act together; it really sucks when you've got a large stack of receivables due on the desk, and all the remiters seen to think you're their new bank....

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
It's a 627cc, 2 cylinder diesel rated at 13hp. The transmission is a 3 gear, 2 range (ttl 6 forward, 2 rev). 3-point is listed as Cat 0&1.

Amd yeah- it would be nice to have a dollar. Barely had the fuel to go get it, but after his kind and generous offer, well- I would have looked like an idiot to have to reschedule or something...

Anyhoo-

Checked the oil and coolant etc- and whipped out the old battery booster pack. After a few attempts (cold outside) lit 'er up. Bueno.

Status
Not open for further replies.