HU baja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Reaction score
??? break...:huh:

Darn I did it again... Brake.

The cv joints are #28 spline, I think its 1 in diameter and Im not sure on the final drive shaft yet.

We are now looking into having a shaft made that will hold the final drive gear and the brake disk with internal splines to fit the cv joints. Just have to find someone to machine the shaft/splines for us...

Nick

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any machine shops in north Arkansas who could cut splines into a half shaft? (may not be the appropriate term but that's what I've been calling it) We need both internal and external splines cut into the shaft.

Nick

Reaction score
Havent been on in awhile but I've got a question for the experts. We are looking at keying the final shaft in the gearbox (which will also be the shaft connecting the two cv axles) but based on the math we would need a key that is 13+ in long in order to support the forces. To over come this can we just add more keys to the assembly or will that not fix anything?

Nick

Reaction score
Sorry I still haven't posted any pics i've been busy with classes and we finally got the steel in so we have begun building!! I dont have any pictures to post but you can see our progress on the Bison Baja Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/BisonBaja) if you are interested. Thanks again for the help you guys have given

Nick

Reaction score

Attachments

• 1621878_369272473211219_2039914024_n.jpg
    1621878_369272473211219_2039914024_n.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

Reaction score
The year is at an end for us. We didnt do as well at competition as we had hoped but that was due more to our unpreparedness more than our car. We came in 54th over all (out of about 80-100). Now we get to start over for next year

Attachments

• bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 20
  • bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 17
  • bb4.jpg
    bb4.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 20
  • bb5.jpg
    bb5.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 27

Nick

Reaction score
Baja is stating up again and I have questions again!

This year im in charge of brakes so I've been picking out master cylinders and calipers but need some help.

Given that the car only weighs 300-500 lbs and only has a 10 hp engine what would you guys suggest brake system wise?

What affects do the bore size of the master cylinder, number of pistons and piston area in the caliper have on stopping power? Do you have any suggestions on how to choose calipers and master cylinders?

Im leaning towards using a Wilwood Tandem master cylinder of some sort with a proportioning valve and I havent looked much at calipers but the ones I have looked at were also wilwood 2 piston calipers.

As always thanks for any help you can offer!!

OzFab

Reaction score
In the simplest terms, a larger bore master cylinder requires less pedal movement to achieve the same result as its smaller bore counterpart; for example, let's say you have 2 master cylinders (MCs), one with a 12mm bore & another with a 19mm bore; for arguments sake, let's say you need 1/2" of travel to fully activate the 12mm MC; with the 19mm, you would only need 3/8" of travel to achieve the same result... it's all about volume... if you press both MCs the same distance, the 19mm unit will disperse 30% more fluid than the 12mm because the bore is 30% larger...

As for calipers, more pistons = more applied force = better stopping power. However, more pistons also means more fluid dispersed by the MC & multiple multi piston calipers = even more fluid needs to be dispersed... every caliper you add to the system doubles the demand on the MC...

Keep in mind, it's just as easy to over engineer brakes as it is to under engineer them, meaning, if your system is too good, it will simply lock the brakes & be completely ineffective... it's a fine line between not enough & too much...

Nick

Reaction score
Thanks Fabroman! That is some great info! It all seems pretty obvoius now.

Now I know nobody likes doing math (and I should really know all the equations for this...) does any one know an equation for finding how much braking force it requires to lock up a wheel as well as any for determining fluid required?

OzFab

Reaction score
Nup; sorry, you're on your own... :lolgoku:

No, seriously, I don't know the math either but, I can say there are a lot of variables that apply:
-Size & weight of vehicle
-Size & weight of rotating mass
-Width of tyres (wider tyre = more friction between tyre & ground surface = less likely to lock)
-Surface area of friction material (brake pads)
-Surface area of disc/drum
-Amount of downward force applied to rotating mass (the more downward force applied, the less likely the brake will be to lock)

... just for starters...

Status
Not open for further replies.