Howdy kids, got a key / keyway question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ampedtech

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I have a go cart live axle with a keyway width of 0.245

This is very close to 1/4" (0.250-0.245 = 0.005)

The axle is 1" dia with standard thread of 3/4" 16 tpi

Is this made to have an interference fit?

or

Do I need a thinner key?

good day to all
 

Felineman

Death by misfortune
Messages
856
Reaction score
38
Location
Muskoka Lakes,Ont
As a machinist for 12 years I always made then tap tight better to have a snug fit then a lose fit. BUT yes something it just falls into the slot.
 

ampedtech

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I am considering altering the width of my key meterial with this method

You could always file down the key with a nice flat file.


Please consider that uniform contact between the key and the keyway may be critical. So.

rubber cement emery cloth to a piece of glass (cause it's REALLY flat) and drag the key material across it. I have seen heads for cars and motorcycles done this way
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top