How to stop valve stem from tearing off inner tube on drive wheels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIGL

New member
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
So I'm currently running some horrible freight 10" wheels on my live rear axle and I keep having to adjust the tire's position relative to the rim to avoid the valve stem tearing out. Is there a way I can lock the tire to the rim so that this will stop happening or should I just nut up and buy some better wheels?
 

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Messages
216
Reaction score
1
Location
Blanchard Oklahoma
you should nut up. until you can though drill some 1/8 inch hole round the wheel where the steel bead of the tire is 4 to six holes. deep enough to go about 1/2 way thru the steel bead of the tire. find the next size bigger screw and screw into the steel bead. make sure and don't screw threw the bead. put a flat washer under it if you cant find big headed screws. just my opinion. you can also use self drilling screws
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Get ANYTHING but those wheels and tires.
Take the ones you have and put them in the garbage before anyone tries to think they are actual wheels and tires.
Somehow HF found the Rejected plans from "the invention of the Wheel" and thought it would be a funny idea to manufacture them.
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
Get ANYTHING but those wheels and tires.
Take the ones you have and put them in the garbage before anyone tries to think they are actual wheels and tires.
Somehow HF found the Rejected plans from "the invention of the Wheel" and thought it would be a funny idea to manufacture them.

He should put them on ebay and call them vintage.

Besides that, with all the awesome info and advice here, why would anyone buy HF tires?
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
There's nothing wrong with HF tires & wheels as long as you use them for the purpose they were intended - things being pushed by hand.
There's only 486 posts here warning people not to use them on anything with a motor.
 

Bbqjoe

Banned
Messages
3,455
Reaction score
67
Location
Location, Location
Actually there's nothing wrong with HF tires if you read the instructions.
You just need to finish baking them at home.
350º for half an hour in your oven. :D
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
There's nothing wrong with HF tires & wheels as long as you use them for the purpose they were intended - things being pushed by hand.
There's only 486 posts here warning people not to use them on anything with a motor.

I have to Disagree.
Those $4.99 10" HF tires are not even worth a crap on a Hand Truck, Dolly or Trolley.

My kids had some Tricycles from HF and those Wheels and tires Failed.
They Might be good for landfill.
 

TIGL

New member
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
In my defense, I bought them long before I joined this forum and had access to a giant stack of the 10" ones at my workshop. I'm going to try and upgrade to the wal-mart ones :p :p
 

ML-TOYS

New member
Messages
2,908
Reaction score
19
Location
long island, new york
Grab yourself a set of these 4 lug tubeless ones, they will last longer than the HF ones.
With these you can do real BURN outs and probably smoke the tires.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4107.JPG
    IMG_4107.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 2

TIGL

New member
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
That could actually be pretty fun if i had a way to actually stop.

maybe I'll give that a try :roflol:
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
In my defense, I bought them long before I joined this forum and had access to a giant stack of the 10" ones at my workshop. I'm going to try and upgrade to the wal-mart ones :p :p

Its all good. But we ALWAYS get our point across when it comes to these Wheels.
"ProFit" Still insists on using them.:surrender:
 

TIGL

New member
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Its all good. But we ALWAYS get our point across when it comes to these Wheels.
"ProFit" Still insists on using them.:surrender:

Yeah, I've noticed that they come up frequently in "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T DO THIS" threads. Mine have actually held up pretty well all things considered. From some quick reading around the forum it seems like the issue with the HF wheels is that the hubs tend to break off from the flanges (I think that's what the rest of the wheel is called). I have 6-8 hours on mine and they seem to have held up excellently in the fairly modified configuration I'm using:
Take 2 wheels apart, knock out the stock 5/8" bearings and set aside one inner tube and tire as spares and replace the bearings either with correct size bearings or a delrin/aluminum core with a key way that has been turned to size. Next, take the two outer halves of the wheels (only flange, no hub, drill out the alignment dimples and put them together back to back held together with a pair of bolts through the holes just drilled. What you're left with is is a wheel that has no built in hub, just a bolt circle that you can take off the hub while it's still inflated. You take one of the two inner halves of the wheel you took apart at the start, cut down most of the flange so you just have the area with the bolt circle and the actual hub where the bearings were and semi permanently attach it to the axle with a key and set screws. You end up using 1.5 wheels per wheel to do this but I happened to have a bunch laying around the workshop from someone else's failed project. If you put a weld bead down where the cut down flange connects the hub to reinforce the stamped steel connection you can get them to hold up well enough.


ALL THAT BEING SAID the wheels still suck because the knobbled ones I have laying around have horrible grip so I end up spinning my wheels a bunch and simultaneously understeering like crazy. Can't go, cant stop and can't turn. IDK if any of that made sense without pictures but I'm at work right now so I'll have to grab some tonight/tomorrow
 

TIGL

New member
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
So based on the video I posted in the other thread, I need traction more than I need power right now so I guess I'll get some of the wheels referennced here http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33565



Also, this is what I was talking about WRT making the best of the HF wheels

 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Great! Next you can show how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

I started to show how to modify HF wheels to make them useable, ONLY TO SHOW THEY WEREN'T WORTH THE EFFORT!

Even that wasn't worth the effort!!!

They are junk. 'Nuff said!

BTW: After watching that video, it's not more power you need, it's brain cells. Are you FR's 3rd persona?
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,214
Reaction score
4,193
There's nothing wrong with HF tires & wheels as long as you use them for the purpose they were intended - things being pushed by hand....

I have to Disagree.
Those $4.99 10" HF tires are not even worth a crap on a Hand Truck, Dolly or Trolley.

My kids had some Tricycles from HF and those Wheels and tires Failed.
They Might be good for landfill.

I know reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits but again, what part of only "things being pushed by hand" do you not understand? :eek:

Tricycles are ridden, human-powered and can be loosely considered a minibike or go kart. Now I know the HF wheels were probably already mounted on the trikes when you bought them, but did you not have prior knowledge that they were junk? Yet you're here complaining anyway. :eek::rolleyes:

Have you had them fail when used on trolleys and dollys? Waiting...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top