How to make a go kart slower

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a friend who just purchased a go kart for his 12 year old daughter. It's a little too fast for her. It has a 3.0 Predator engine. Is there a way to make it slower until she gets used to it?

Thanx

Coltonj231

Reaction score
You could always lengthen the throttle cable so it’s not accelerating all the way. The easiest way would be to weld or bolt a pedal stop so it can’t go down as far. Have fun with it, and be creative! Im 14 and I just finished builign mine from scratch!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
You could always lengthen the throttle cable so it’s not accelerating all the way. The easiest way would be to weld or bolt a pedal stop so it can’t go down as far. Have fun with it, and be creative! Im 14 and I just finished builign mine from scratch!
No! Just no!

Trying to slow down a kart by limiting throttle travel will just burn out any clutch you have due to slipping. Especially a centrifugal clutch. The engine doesn't get up to the required RPM's to lock up the clutch. All you ten have is slipping and burning.

The safest and best way to reduce speed is to gear lower. That means changing sprocket sizes. You could also get larger rear tyres which essentially is the same as gearing lower

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Larger rear tires is the opposite if your engine has the power to turn them right. Larger rear tires decrease your ability to accelerate due to the higher load, but if you have the power they'll eventually run up an even faster top end speed.
And if you did want to do a little bit of throttle limiting, just not enough to burn clutches, most throttles have a screw that physically bumps into the moving throttle mechanism and keeps it from going any further. You just screw in or out to let mechanism move less or more.
Lengthening a cable so it gets sloppy is wrong for a lot of reasons, and a pedal stop is almost as bad.
Basically everyone changes their rear axle sprocket to change speed/power. Larger sprocket decreases top speed/increases acceleration. More fun, less danger.

Snaker

Reaction score
No! Just no!

Trying to slow down a kart by limiting throttle travel will just burn out any clutch you have due to slipping. Especially a centrifugal clutch. The engine doesn't get up to the required RPM's to lock up the clutch. All you ten have is slipping and burning.

The safest and best way to reduce speed is to gear lower. That means changing sprocket sizes. You could also get larger rear tyres which essentially is the same as gearing lower
There are all sorts of machines with all sorts of different types of clutches all over the world that have probably never been put to full throttle.
And they work just fine.

I have decades of running snowmobiles with cvt's.
There are constant situations of moving the sleds at less than drag strip accelerations, on-off trailers, across sheds and yards, road ditches, etc.
Sometimes simply riding slow to enjoy the scenery.
Often times new riders have to be encouraged to give more take off throttle to help out the clutch to engage completely, but it never comes to applying anywhere near full throttle.

Your warning of not limiting the throttle so much as to affect clutch engagement is valid, but to call out for absolutely no limiting is just wrong.

So, if limiting throttle movement solves the problem, by all means do it.
Just make sure there is plenty of throttle to get the clutch engaged without drama.
And understand that throttle limiting is still different than ground speed limiting.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Snaker, you seem to know CVT drivers, answer this for me.............. Just got a first test run done on my 12:72 (changed from 12:60) gear ratio driven off of a series 30 type of generic CVT. Power's from a Predator 212 that's hotrodded up to what would be 15+ if I can ever get the rpm's wound up.
Found that careful intention was required of me to only ease the driver into engagement from a standstill. Otherwise it would be real "snatchy", trying to bark the tires so to speak, a hard bang of engagement. Any thoughts?
EDIT: Also, before getting kart up to test speed, had done a couple of slower lot laps. After coasting down slower to turn around, CVT belt suddenly got jammed deep in the driven pulley, enough to lock up the tires to a stop. First and only time it's done that. Any thoughts on the cause of that?

Last edited:

Snaker

Reaction score
I have no idea on the various gearing for the carts.

A hard engagement can be controlled by a few methods.
1. Set engagement at lower engine rpm. The engine is spinning slower and with less power.
2. Keep the drive pulley moveable sheave to side of belt clearance at minimum, enough to not rub but not so much to allow the moveable sheave to move a lot and slam into belt.
3. Try different gearing
4. Add various drivetrain damping, cushion blocks.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Guess I made it sound really violent......."bark the tires" and all. The engagement rpm is already as low as the factory setting, so rpm isn't anywhere near high enough to actually "bark the tires" like a 3-cylinder VW.
The hard snatch of not carefully easing the throttle on doesn't actually "snatch" the kart, it just sounds bad when what you're planning is a smooth acceleration from standstill. A very solid grab of the clutch might be a more apt and accurate description, when I'd prefer a "vrrrooommm" kind of slow takeoff, instead of a "clank" kind of slow takeoff.
Gearing isn't extreme in any way, doesn't come into play with what I'm trying to describe.
Driver's moveable sheave is factory, doesn't creep at idle, but is right up beside the belt. Mounting a camera looking down into CVT for next test run to see if anything's obvious with driver or driven.
Primary and secondary chains are both pretty tight, on purpose. How would a drivetrain be damped down or cushioned?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Sneaker you are so wrong in this case. Being it only has a 3hp engine they are probably running a centrifugal clutch and not a cvt. Centrifugal clutches need lots of rpm to fully engage or they slip. Any kind of slipping makes heat and destroys centrifugal clutches, in as little as under a minute. Cvt clutches on go-kart engines operate on the same principals as snowmobiles but with MUCH less precision. In my experience they need the rpm to engage then throttle back to control speed. The OP would be better served teaching throttle control.
Landuse has spent a lot of time on here and has a lot of experience.
Madproffessor don’t hikack this guys thread. Ask on your own please.