how to hook up lights on a kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
ok i want to hook up lights on my kart and this is what i got. i got a car battery, 2 offroad lights ( sorta like the ones in the picture) a switch and alot of wires. how would i be able to hook this up???

thanks. btw each light has 2 wires coming out of it.

Attachments

• image_130.jpg
    image_130.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 10

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Run one wire from the (-) post of battery and conect it to bare metal on the frame.

Run one wire from the (+) post of battery to one side of switch(either sides...doesn'r matter).

Run two wires from the other side of the switch. #1 goes to one wire of one light. #2 goes to one wire of other light.

The two previously unconnected wires (should be one off each light) connect them to the frame.

turn on switch

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
Run one wire from the (-) post of battery and conect it to bare metal on the frame.

Run one wire from the (+) post of battery to one side of switch(either sides...doesn'r matter).

Run two wires from the other side of the switch. #1 goes to one wire of one light. #2 goes to one wire of other light.

The two previously unconnected wires (should be one off each light) connect them to the frame.

turn on switch

so like this

Attachments

• lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 26

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
btw will i be able to run the lights off of a 12v lantern battery?

like this

Attachments

• 41VcsbyIELL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41VcsbyIELL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 39

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I'm adding those to my old go for some off road mudding :D yay walmart

EDIT: If you're planning on getting a new engine anytime soon you could always buy an engine with an electric start. They come with a decent charger in them for the battery. Makes it last a long time.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
does your engine have a charge coil? if it does you can run it off that. but if not i would suggest using a rechargeable 12v battery from, a electric scooter or something, and a 12v charger...

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
does your engine have a charge coil? if it does you can run it off that. but if not i would suggest using a rechargeable 12v battery from, a electric scooter or something, and a 12v charger...

nope average 6.5hp harbor freight engine. im gonna get a scooter battery with a charger.

bighead

Reaction score
This is what I did on my BSR. I used LED lights for the draw less power. I used a Makita Battery charger cut in half. I used the original circuit board inside the charger. I soldered the + and - to the board. This was I was able to use the original contack points when I sled the battery in. I used the makita 9.6 for I wanted a chain guard as well. I carry a few of the batteries. But I never needed them. One charge will last for over 24 hours. With you light they would not last that long.

If I was you. I would go get a $25 lawn tractor 12 volt battery. Make a battery box and wire it up. I would also only run one light. Two lights is two much power. Drain battery twice as fast. Then you can just charge battery everytime you need a few hours of light.

Attachments

• SDC10723.jpg
    SDC10723.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 21
  • SDC10626.jpg
    SDC10626.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 19
  • SDC10614.jpg
    SDC10614.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 21
  • SDC10606.jpg
    SDC10606.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 19
  • SDC10483.jpg
    SDC10483.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 20
  • SDC10768.jpg
    SDC10768.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 24
  • SDC10767.jpg
    SDC10767.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 20

MadBrit

Reaction score
ummmm wouldn't you be putting a 30amp electrical current through the frame by using it as a ground while the lights are in operation????

Assuming you use a 12v battery to power the lights and a charger that would put the frame under a constant electrical charge which as far as electricity and gasoline goes is not a good idea.... if im wrong please do say and explain please.

kartingizm

Murray Hardrive Gokart
Reaction score
ummmm wouldn't you be putting a 30amp electrical current through the frame by using it as a ground while the lights are in operation????

Assuming you use a 12v battery to power the lights and a charger that would put the frame under a constant electrical charge which as far as electricity and gasoline goes is not a good idea.... if im wrong please do say and explain please.

i dont know about this stuff. it shouldnt charge my frame at all. its just gonna be a ground for some 12v lights.

fowler

Reaction score
u are wrong

grounding to the frame is a common practice
cars and trucks do it
motor bikes use the frame and engine to ground the starter

also your house is grounded to the... well ground

lastly i dont think electricty alone can ignite petrol but an electrial spark can of course

Status
Not open for further replies.