How to Centre Sprocket on Hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silversledder

Reaction score
I purhased wheel hubs, sprockets and brake drum/band from Northern Tool. Now I'm setting up chain and found that my sprocket and hub are not precisley centred with each other such that the chain is tight, then 1/2 rotation later it is slack, then tight, then slack and so on. The play in the alignment appears to be simply a result of the hole sizes and the bolts going through. When I loosen them off, I can shift the relative centre of the sprocket and the hub centres (am I explaining this right?).In reality the ecentricity is probably only out a few millimetres, but enough to make it noticeable and make me wonder how long a 35 chain will last under load. Aside from trial and error adjusting, does anyone have a trick or procedure to set this up/align the centres simply the first time?

Last edited:

zanegrey

zanegrey
Reaction score
only snug up the bolts so that when you turn the wheel the hub
will automatically center itself ..

turn the wheel a few times and then tighten the bolts a 1/4 turn at a time ..
turn the wheel a few more time and then tighten 1/4 turn again

do this until all bolts are tight and you should be very close to center..

5trucks

Reaction score
Buy the sprocket that has the hub machined into it already. Guaranteed to be centered. I had this same problem only i created it. I had to order a new sprocket and the hub holes didnt line up. so being the mechanic i am, i eyeballed it and drilled a few more. Put it on cart, adjusted chain tensioner and proceeded to test drive. Chain went slack tight slack tight. Then i figured it out. My bad but fixed it with the sprocket i mentioned above.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
1 wheel drive kart sprocket and brake drum held to rim with 4 studs and nuts/lock washers. There is enough play for adjustment but just can't get that last percentage point.
Perhaps I'm too much of a perfectionist.

5trucks

Reaction score
Here is what it looks like:

Attachments

• sprocket1.jpg
    sprocket1.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 18
  • sprocket2.jpg
    sprocket2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 18

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
1 wheel drive kart sprocket and brake drum held to rim with 4 studs and nuts/lock washers. There is enough play for adjustment but just can't get that last percentage point.
Perhaps I'm too much of a perfectionist.

Have you tried bolts with a non thread portion on them?

Or maybe a shoulder bolt?

Have somebody with a lathe make you some spacer tubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.