how should I weld this frame to support the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score

the brown pieces are 1-1/4" angle iron from a bed frame. The back where the end of the engine plate is is solid and I notched where the edge of the plate is to the other side of the frame for sprocket clearance. The back plate will be welded as well. Do I need a center support under the plate or just both ends?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Personally what I like is to have one single support bar down the center. And of course the ends are both welded to the frame. Some karts have a support bar on each side of the plate but it makes it a pain in the rear to get to the engine bolts. Both types of mounts I mentioned are on Factory made AZUZA brand frames that I own.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
so one down the middle with the long sides unsupported and just the middle and the ends holding it then? sounds good to me

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
got alot done today. Got booted from the build off because I didn't have the date on my sign...good grief, It says 2015 and the pics are date stamped electronically. Oh well.
I got the frame welded up and the engine plate mounted/welded too. Mocked up the axle to figure out where the drum/sprocket would need to be and marked the axle so I can attempt to cut in a keyway (ugh, neighbor's mill power supply on the fritz). I also got brackets made, not yet welded in, for the brake shoe support and brake cable holder. It well be off the rear plate of the kart. I also did some looking at the steering setup and think I am gonna make the steering shaft vertical (like 1Pug's RNLC) so I will need to acquire a new pillow block bearing for a 7/8" shaft. By doing this, I will have more room to add in the seat setup and center the weight of the kart. I will also be able to add a floor rather than footpegs which should be safer too. I am getting antsy now, but I am dreading cutting that keyway slot with a dremel. Stay tuned

FYI, I did end up centering a bracket down the middle of the engine plate too. All welded in (ugly) solid now.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
This is coming along nicely. There is thread somewhere in here about cutting a keyway with a dremel. It is possible with more patience than I have. Also check Utube I saw a guy on there once fix a fubared axle with a welder and a dremel.
You did not get BOOTED. Just fix your sign, read the instructions carefully and start a build thread in the place the instructions say. The moderators did give you a hard time, but really, its because you are like the 4th guy to do it wrong. You can still enter if you want.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Re enter the build off correctly. :thumbsup: You never know, you could get an underdog win!:wai:
I love Hooker headers.... They fit good, and last along time. :thumbsup:
EDIT
Don't use a pillow block for the steering support. Just use a heim end. You can get one specific for a 7/8" steering shaft, from places like www.speedwaymotors.com I'll add a link in I minute.....
EDIT #2
Nope, it was for a 3/4".... Where did you come up with a 7/8" shaft? Oh yeah...... Lawn mower.......:eek:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Please reenter! Lol I don't want to be the only underdog :p. Plus I've thought about doing this myself awhile back, want to see how it'll turn out.

Your not the only underdog!, Have you seen that thing Desert Dueler is trying to build!:lolgoku: and that other Slidewayz thing Come on a monocoque aluminum chassis! :cornut: Just kidding. But really This is a great build off. Yes there are some real pros at work here and like at least 4 guys this is their first build. I cannot wait to see all of these Karts on voting day. We have got opposite ends of the build spectrum going here and I think it is anyones game.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
okay, but the parts pile is gonna look different. I'm off to the garage to start today's items off the list.
-wheelie bar
-tear apart current steering
-weld on seat mounts (? maybe, I need certain steel pieces)
-weld on brake cable/rod tabs
-inspect front spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.