how much would you pay for a big bore 49cc "drift" go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jk95ht

Reaction score
how much would you pay for a go kart with the following?
49cc engine
big bore kit
high performance carby
high performance pod filter
fibreglass reed (or carbon fibre and fibreglass dual stage reed)
timing advance key
petcoc mod
modified exhaust
the "boost" (empty bottle 100ml? hooked up to carb)
quad axle with pocket rocket wheels and slick tyres dual spinner disc brake
6 tooth clutch 55? tooth sprocket
with decent medium/large seat
1500x500 dimensions
made to "drift" and skid with minimum wear on rear tyres
please comment as i want to no if id make back around about $200 as thats what im putting into it
thanks josh

fowler

Reaction score
id want a vid of it

the genral rule of thumb is nothing below 90cc

that is a **** load of money to throw at a tiny engine

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
what can i say i like drifting lol
iv always liked drifting etc, and since my bmx got stolen i got nothin to do in my spare time

I can guarantee you that you wont be able to drift with that engine no matter how much you spend on it. No where near enough power. Even with all the mods you'd be lucky to have 5HP in a very narrow power band, even then, you're pumping it through a clutch that can't handle the standard engines power.

The only way you are going to drift that thing (momentum slide, not power slide) is on soaking wet polished concrete with slick tyres on the back. It is VERY hard to find a surface like that to consistently ride on.

A 49cc pocket bike engine is a "different" for a reason, the only kart it's suitable for is a low speed (<15km/h) kids kart. Let alone that axle you want to use, just not suitable for a kart, far too narrow and weak.

In another thread you made you said you were going to spend $140 on mods for this engine, you could probably sell that pocket quad for $200+ (say it's an unwanted gift or something), that leaves you with at least $340. You could build a kick arse kart for that much!

Something a bit different is a full crank Victa. You should be able to get one from the tip for free (or at the most $20), put your $140 towards getting a clutch and adapter for it, fit a different carby (unless it already has a G3) and viola, 5-6HP, tons of low down torque, good power spread, easy to get parts for and absolutely indestructible.

Here's a Victa powered kart drifting around, it appears to have quite low gearing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFzdCzTxKw

Going back to your original question, seeing as commercial 49cc powered kids karts are available for $300 brand new, I'd say yours would be worth about $200, I wouldn't buy it though.

Thanks

Hayden

jk95ht

Reaction score
its second hand so not worth much at all, i probably paid too much for it.
i was thinkn about fixn it up, paintn it and sellin it but then i think i wont get that much for it......

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
its second hand so not worth much at all, i probably paid too much for it.
i was thinkn about fixn it up, paintn it and sellin it but then i think i wont get that much for it......

How much do they cost new over there? Over here they're $500-$600 (bloody rip off!) and usually sell second hand for about $300. Surely someone would pay $200 for it?

jk95ht

Reaction score
got the quad

heres some photos of the quad.....
$100 and all it needed was a fuel cap
it is slightly different to the link i showed you's......

Attachments

• 07052011260.jpg
    07052011260.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 07052011259.jpg
    07052011259.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 07052011262.jpg
    07052011262.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15

bighead

Reaction score
I can guarantee you that you wont be able to drift with that engine no matter how much you spend on it. No where near enough power. Even with all the mods you'd be lucky to have 5HP in a very narrow power band, even then, you're pumping it through a clutch that can't handle the standard engines power.

The only way you are going to drift that thing (momentum slide, not power slide) is on soaking wet polished concrete with slick tyres on the back. It is VERY hard to find a surface like that to consistently ride on.

A 49cc pocket bike engine is a "different" for a reason, the only kart it's suitable for is a low speed (<15km/h) kids kart. Let alone that axle you want to use, just not suitable for a kart, far too narrow and weak.

In another thread you made you said you were going to spend $140 on mods for this engine, you could probably sell that pocket quad for $200+ (say it's an unwanted gift or something), that leaves you with at least $340. You could build a kick arse kart for that much!

Something a bit different is a full crank Victa. You should be able to get one from the tip for free (or at the most $20), put your $140 towards getting a clutch and adapter for it, fit a different carby (unless it already has a G3) and viola, 5-6HP, tons of low down torque, good power spread, easy to get parts for and absolutely indestructible.

Here's a Victa powered kart drifting around, it appears to have quite low gearing though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdFzdCzTxKw

Going back to your original question, seeing as commercial 49cc powered kids karts are available for $300 brand new, I'd say yours would be worth about $200, I wouldn't buy it though.

Thanks

Hayden

Love the sound of your kart?

jk95ht

Reaction score
axle thickness

the axle is a solid 20mm thick, it is rated to take upto 90kg+the quads weight, so over 120kg...... i think it is strong enough, just cut the centre and add a hollow pipe (strong as all sh**) and walluh.....
now, does anyone hav anyone idea of how id mount pocket rocket wheels to the axle?
thanks josh

Badot

Reaction score
That trike looks a bit like mine... if you decide to go that route I would make at least one change though...

I incorporated some frame flex in mine so that when you turn, the force on the front wheel will flex it so the forks rotate clockwise for a left turn and counterclockwise for a right turn. This basically causes it to self-correct and I can be going completely (as in 90 or more degrees) sideways and very easily hold the drift, something I've never seen with more rigid frames.

Also, I used the front of a BMX bike which I got for free. I believe the sliders are fairly expensive anymore? Plus a BMX bike will have the detangler for the rear brake (I repurposed it as a throttle) so your throttle cable won't get wrapped up if you rotate your handlebars all the way around. I don't believe the pedals would be too useful either, unless you run out of gas. With pegs you can keep it going straight and turn slightly with just your feet.

jk95ht

Reaction score
yer but they're like a bike anyway, i want a go kart...... and i have everything i need... engine (8 wheels lol) ....... all the metal etc......
so the kart is going ahead and if the 49cc is enough to power it wen its done, ill upgrade it to a big bore kit......
thats if, so im not going to waste anymore money.....yet

jk95ht

Reaction score
change the wheels or keep the off road ones?

ok should i buy new bearings and put the pocket rocket wheels on, or should i keep the off road light weight wheels and tyres which wont cost me anything to put on?
and im acceptin the fact the 49cc wont be enough to drift......

Status
Not open for further replies.