• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

How Much Is This Junk Worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
How Much Is This Stuff Worth?

I am being posed to help liquidate an unbuilt Heathkit Deluxe Solid-State Color TV.

It has the big heavy CRT, the 'bezel' or trim plate and a suitable wood cabinet to place it in (I think it used to be a Sylvania) along with all the rest of the internals, circuit boards, and hardware packaged up and ready to go.

Some extra kits are in the offer such as at least two old-school vacuum tube multimeters with Nixie tube displays, also in kit form.

Has all the manuals and literature, most of it designed as a study course from Bell & Howell Schools / DeVry Institute of Technology and these have been sitting relatively untouched for 40+ years.

So what do you think?

This post(s) might enjoy continued life as a recurring thread. Feel free to post in it at will, if you like.

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1552.jpg
    IMG_1552.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 5

Hellion

Reaction score
It doesn't matter about obsolescence WTR, people are nutty nostalgic about these things and in order to make it work, all you need is a analog-to-digital converter thingy. That part could probably be integrated into the cabinet too.

I'm thinking ballpark figure of $350-400, but it might be insanely more than that or just slightly so. :p

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
It doesn't matter about obsolescence WTR, people are nutty nostalgic about these things and in order to make it work, all you need is a analog-to-digital converter thingy. That part could probably be integrated into the cabinet too.

I'm thinking ballpark figure of $350-400, but it might be insanely more than that or just slightly so. :p

The trick might be just finding one of those people...

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it's worth a small fortune to someone.
I never say this, but I'm gonna say it just this once:
Heathkit stuff was the bomb!

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
Where'd you get that stufff Hellion?? Cool stuff... I'd fund you $350 Just to mess around with it on the weekend :) To bad you don't deliver :(

Hellion

Reaction score
It is the ideal cabin fever project for you Canucks in the Great White North. :D
You know, gotta have something engrossing for the brain, eh?

It is my understanding that Heathkit instructions are some of the best ever written too.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Junk: old or discarded articles that are considered useless or of little value.

Veneered particle board fits that definition in my world.

Hellion

Reaction score
One man's junk = another man's treasure.

There's a quandary for ya.

The rest of the kit is strikingly made of high grade steel and aluminum, glass, etc. Saw a few Bakelite pieces too.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
The place to sell this is via auction. On-line will reach the largest audience. Set a reserve and make the buyer pay for shipping.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Look into vintage tube groups. And as Joe said Heathkit stuff is awesome.
Again send the VTVM my way.
But you will need it to build that TV.

---------- Post added at 08:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

And if you do build it,keep in mind the new (in that kit) capacitors are junk. Most likely dried out. New ones will have to be bought.

Hellion

Reaction score
Look into vintage tube groups. And as Joe said Heathkit stuff is awesome.
Again send the VTVM my way.

But you will need it to build that TV. And if you do build it, keep in mind the new (in that kit) capacitors are junk. Most likely dried out. New ones will have to be bought.

The VTVM stays in the package. As you said, it's needed to build the TV. Shoulda kept your mouth shut about that very important fact. :D

I've heard that the older components may have had an early expiration date. Good thing too I guess but they can still be found, just not at your now-defunct neighborhood Radio Shack. :rolleyes::eek:

Notice how I asked for opinions on what it was worth, not on how to sell it. Not a good inquiry for this forum though, is it? :2guns:

99% of the old-school talent and wisdom is gone from this arena, methinks.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
I agree with ya there. I know a lot of dying breed tradesmen.
A good friend is a silver Smith. The man is skilled. But no one has a tea set they need fixed anymore.

Buy a new one and throw out the old.

I dabble in those old electronics. It's fun, but I'll spent a few hours going through an old radio, but no one around here to share the hobby with.

anickode

Reaction score
I agree with ya there. I know a lot of dying breed tradesmen.
A good friend is a silver Smith. The man is skilled. But no one has a tea set they need fixed anymore.

Buy a new one and throw out the old.

I dabble in those old electronics. It's fun, but I'll spent a few hours going through an old radio, but no one around here to share the hobby with.

Not a lot of guys running radio gear anymore, especially 10M and below. There's a handful of CB pirates still out there blasting away on 6 or 11. Very seldom is my base station switched on these days. Nobody within range to talk to but foul-mouthed truckers. Heck, Ive got a D&A 12 tube phantom kicking an antron 99, and there's still nobody close enough to talk to.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
I can run 10-180m. Nothing bigger than 300 Pep. A viriety of gear. An astroplane, a bigstick, and some wires. Can make contacts all over when conditions are right.

No locals to rag chew with. Just the 4x4 clubs on trails.

I have a home brew based off a D&A. Just 1x2. Love the sound of glass.

Attachments

• 20150107_100151.jpg
    20150107_100151.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 4

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
I gots me one of these. It runs on 10 and 11 meters. I have it in my shop now, but this pic was when I had it set up in the kitchen of my restaurant.
It's kinda fun when the skip comes in, and you're talking to someone halfway around the world, but the convo is always the same, what's your gear, and how's the weather?
Pretty boring really.
I've got an Imax 2000, which I guess is about the same as an antron 99.

A dude once gave me a moon raker to build. Major PITA, and I really didn't have anything high enough to mount it on.

Attachments

• DSC00441.jpg
    DSC00441.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.