How much grease to pack in a diff

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I have a diff which I have taken appart and cleaned. There wasn't too much grease in the diff when I took it apart, and I am not too sure how much to put back in. Do I fill it all the way to the top, halfway, a third???? Should I just cover the gears?

Thanks in advance for the advice
 

Attachments

  • 13082011578.jpg
    13082011578.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 13082011579.jpg
    13082011579.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 13082011580.jpg
    13082011580.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 16

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Is that a tecumseh peerless 100? My dad has one on a cattle bedding machine.
We packed it completely full of grease. Dunno if thats right tho.
 

porsche930dude

New member
Messages
906
Reaction score
29
Location
Upstate, NY
doesnt need much . but if you want it to be tighter and act like a limited slip you can fill it most of the way with thicker greese. also make sure and use all 4 bolts in it or the spider gear pin will wallow out the aluminum cups it sits in and mess up your case.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top