How do you guys keep your set screws in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I've been having troubles lately with those **** set screws, my axle set screws have been holding (mainly because i have like 2 locking collars and locking bearings), but the one on my centrifugal clutch always comes loose, any tips? locktite doesnt do anything because my clutch just gets so hot...

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Clutch should not get so hot that Loctite will not hold.
Look for an overload problem.
Loctite blue should hold.

Well i guess i ASSumed that since the clutch bell got so hot it could melt plastic, that it would also melt the locktite. I most likely am overloading the clutch, since im 175, my kart is probably 200 and the clutch slips like crazy till i get up to speed.

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
ehhh my clutch becomes hot as hell too when i ride my shopping cart! and locktite it basically designed to melt under heat soooo, i'm pretty sure locktite have some hi-temp threadlock, and watch out if there is oil on the set screw, i think only locktite 103 is good for oil

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
Depending on clutch design, should lock-up at about 2k rpm.
Solid, non-slippage engagement keeps clutch housing cool.
My clutches never get so hot that I can't immediately handle them.
Slipping is the cause of heat problem.
I suggest a heavier duty clutch.
And...never use oil on clutch shoes or housing.
Ratio should not exceed 5 or 6:1.

theo

Reaction score
remove the set screws and install a short bolt. I haved used loctite and if they do come loose or you strip out the head, there will be a lot of cursing going on.

theo

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
Depending on clutch design, should lock-up at about 2k rpm.
Solid, non-slippage engagement keeps clutch housing cool.
My clutches never get so hot that I can't immediately handle them.
Slipping is the cause of heat problem.
I suggest a heavier duty clutch.
Ratio should not exceed 5 or 6:1.

maybe... i'm using the 400 series comet clutch i think, well the cheapo one at princess auto... :sifone:

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I have a cheap comet that looks like a hillard, but says comet i havent been able to actually find the model but the back says comet and that its, but its black and looks just like a hillard. It starts engaging at idle, and doesnt fully engage when you floor it for about 10-20 seconds. I my engine does bog a bit when i floor it so that could be the reason for the slippage on takeoff, but the engaging at idle is not because of the engine, it idles very low and the engine is almost new.

Either way, i went out and put some fresh locktite on and im just going to deal with it. This is just temporary until i get my sled engine for it.

Also i do not use oil on the clutch, i grease the bushing but thats it.

Rickracer

RM250 Race Kart Driver
Reaction score
I would drill a little dimple in the crank where the setscrew goes, that will allow it to go a little deeper, clean the screw and the threaded hole with Brakleen and use Red Loctite. If it goes down in the hole, you can stake the edges to keep it from backing out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.