How do I keep sprocket key from coming out?

mckutzy

Reaction score
Depending on the hub type.. there should be a setscrew tightening against the key...
With that being said.. sans setscrews... Pipe clamps in a pinch or if you want disassembly, shaft collars...

Crazznewt

Reaction score
You can go to your local farm supply and buy 2 set screw collars and butt them up to the key way on both sides to lock it in place. Or if the key way is long enough and not completely inside the sprocket, put a hose clamp on the exposed key.

Oh! Mckutzy beat me to the punch. I guess a guy could clean the axle really well and Gorilla tape the key to the axle.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
The keys themselves are rather soft,
clamping it in your vice and mushrooming it out ever so slightly on the lower half with some gentle percussive action
could require you to tap it into the keyway with that very same hammer.. and ideally would hold it in place all by itself!

but truth is: locking collars or set screws are reliable and most of all repeatable (just not as easy to get on a sunday ;))

So yeah, lots of options
superglue is said to work as well.. to remove it you just have to heat it up and it'll crack open again,
just in case you want to fix it (at least temporarily) today ;)

'sid

redflash

Reaction score
I realize its not a great idea...but I tack welded a key in

Da Flash

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Use the locking collars on each side of the sprocket like they say. Just DO NOT buy solid collars or so-called "split collars" with a single split in them. You have to slide everything off the end of the axle to put them on or remove. Buy a bag of the "double-split" collars in your shaft size. They go on as 2 pieces anywhere you want, mount in a matter of seconds. Between my 1" live axle and .75" jackshaft and swingarm pivots I've got about 18 of them on my kart, butted up to both sides of everything. Average costs across both sizes $2.26 each from Ebay.