How do 2 speed Jackshafts work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrjulien1

Reaction score
ya i saw those to i think that ther use a gear system that creates two different gear ratios or they use a belt system to change the gear ratio like a torque converter i was going to buy one for my next project theyre pretty cheap btw i was only guessing as to how they work

hope this helps

cojaro

Reaction score
jrjulien1 said:
ya i saw those to i think that ther use a gear system that creates two different gear ratios or they use a belt system to change the gear ratio like a torque converter i was going to buy one for my next project theyre pretty cheap btw i was only guessing as to how they work

hope this helps
After thinking about it overnight, I think I have an idea how it works.

The larger sprocket (let's say it's 20 teeth) on the jackshaft is 1st gear (gear ratio drive 12: driven 20; or 1: 1 2/3). This sprocket is the one being driven until the clutch on the jackshaft engages at so-and-so rpm, and the now small clutch sprocket (let's say it's 12 teeth as well) is the driven sprocket. Now the gear ratio between the jackshaft and engine is 1:1 instead of 1: 1 2/3.

I'll definitely use this on my go kart, even though I won't be starting on it till spring/summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.