How common is gx390 pull starters breaking?

Have you had a GX390 pull starter break recently?

• Yes, but this doesn't happen often

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I have in the past

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
I have gone through at least 4 gx390 pull starters on my built predator 420 in the last 5 months, with the rope and plastic breaking. I want to see if other people are having the same issue.

mckutzy

Reaction score
That does sound unusual...

Lets see some pics of the cup and starter mech....
I reckon something is awry with the fitment....

Edit:What mods do you have done with the engine?? new flywheel??? ...

Last edited:

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
That does sound unusual...

Lets see some pics of the cup and starter mech....
I reckon something is awry with the fitment....

Edit:What mods do you have done with the engine?? new flywheel??? ...
Ill get u some pics tomorrow ;) As for engine mods, it has a billet rod, billet flywheel, 50lbs valve springs, governer and balance shaft delete, and a 34mm carb.

I should mention that I think just buying a cheap knock-off gx390 pull starters may be the issue, as budget gokart hinted to earlier.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Does it have factory starter cup and blower housing???

It almost sounds like the cup is out of standard alignment with the starter pawls...
They will bind and hang up if the housing isn't seated correctly, or if the flywheel is offset not being stock...

Or... It's got alot more go off the bat, that it can't disengaged as it's going... but then it would have ripped out the pull cord out of your hand...
Just spit balling... But those things off hand are what I can think of...
Interesting situation...

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
Does it have factory starter cup and blower housing???

It almost sounds like the cup is out of standard alignment with the starter pawls...
They will bind and hang up if the housing isn't seated correctly, or if the flywheel is offset not being stock...

Or... It's got alot more go off the bat, that it can't disengaged as it's going... but then it would have ripped out the pull cord out of your hand...
Just spit balling... But those things off hand are what I can think of...
Interesting situation...
Your spot on mckutzy! the last time I changed out the starter I noticed the cup had a slightly bent spot, and sometimes the cord is jerked out of my hands but I always thought this was an issue related to advanced timing. When I get some time Ill try and swap out starter cups as I have a couple of extras laying around. And yes its a factory cup and housing.

OPmini

moo
Reaction score
I don't have a pic of the broken starter but is a pic of the one I have now and the starter cup, where I am pointing is where the other one broke.

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_141700.jpg
    IMG_20210308_141700.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210308_141732.jpg
    IMG_20210308_141732.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210308_141934.jpg
    IMG_20210308_141934.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 2

mckutzy

Reaction score
Hmmm... interesting...
When you pull the cord for the first few inches.... does it have any resistance or hangups.... or just fine till it contacts the cup???....

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The cup is bent and should be replaced. Now on to you’re starting technique. Pull the handle slowly to engage the starting pawls then once they are engaged pull sharply. By just grabbing and yanking you can do all kinds of bad stuff to the cup and mechanism. 😢