How can i lower idle speed?

jmaack

Reaction score
I have already turned screw all the way out. It is still a little bit too high. Any other ideas or solutions? 212 hemi and a chinese tq converter

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Which screw? On the main throttle control or on the carb itself? The one on the throttle control is the "governed speed adjustment", the one on the carb (black plastic screw) is the "true" idle adjustment.

If you're still stuck try adjusting the fuel/air mixture screw, if it's set a little lean you'll get a high idle. About a 1mm crack of the throttle being open and 1-1/2 turns out (from lightly seated) of the mixture screw is a good starting point.

Also make sure your mounting gasket and carb insulator "plate" are oriented correctly, if it's not you can have a vacuum leak (essentially).

As a quick test what happens when you close the choke while the motor is running?

jmaack

Reaction score
Which screw? On the main throttle control or on the carb itself? The one on the throttle control is the "governed speed adjustment", the one on the carb (black plastic screw) is the "true" idle adjustment.

If you're still stuck try adjusting the fuel/air mixture screw, if it's set a little lean you'll get a high idle. About a 1mm crack of the throttle being open and 1-1/2turns out (from lightly seated) of the mixture screw is a good starting point.

Also make sure your mounting gasket and carb insulator "plate" are oriented correctly.

I adjusted the idle adjustment black plastic screw all the way out.

mckutzy

Reaction score
What mods or upgrades to the engine are installed?
Is the throttle pulling the throttle arm a little? this will cause higher idle.
Pics of throttle setup?

jmaack

Reaction score
What mods or upgrades to the engine are installed?
Is the throttle pulling the throttle arm a little? this will cause higher idle.
Pics of throttle setup?

Stage 1. I tried disconnecting the throttle and no change. I belive something is slightly off adjustment. I can barely press the arm a bit and it idles perfectly.

It wants to creep on me when running now. At idle the tq converter is slightly engaging. When i manually press arm i can watch the clutch retract,

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
That's bunk! First thing I do if I get a motor with one is order an adjustable one off Amazon! :roflol:

Do you still have the governor hooked up? If so stretch that idle return spring to a further hole on the governor arm or drill a new one. If not add a light return spring, you mentioned you can get it to drop by hand.

jmaack

Reaction score
I await pics of this carb before I can comment

pics of what? it is a stock predator 212 carb.

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 AM ----------

It could be an intake leak leaning the engine out a bit. That will cause rpm to rise at idle.

checked first as I thought the filter adapter wasn't seated correctly.