Honda GX390 hard to pull starter string

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,922
Reaction score
3,961
Thank you. I’m planning to purchase this feeler gauges from Amazon but looking at the specs it looks like the thinnest is .005
Someone mentioned the valve needs to be adjusted to .003”
What specs do I need for the feeler gauges?
Cancel your Amazon order and go down to your local auto parts store. I have 3 sets of feeler gauges and they all go down to .003". Been so long ago I can't remember where they came from, but I can garuntee you it wasn't from the mailman. You need the right one to do it correctly. The explanation given in post # 16 by CartMan007 is right on. The right one should have a little bit of tension, and the next size up, like .004" should be too big to slip between the rocker arm and the top of the valve stem. FWIW. You set the lash when the valve is completely closed. Pull the plug so you can turn the engine over easily, several times, and watch and familiarize yourself with the valve action. The exhaust side will have a very small secondary bump. Right after that is when you set that valve. The intake side will only open and close once.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,230
Reaction score
4,205
Kudos to you 🛒-Man007 for going above and beyond the call of duty and you even submitted a personal video!
Yeah I am busting your balls a little over the Kart/Cart grammar Nazi-ism
:cornut:

This is fantastic and makes this thread an all-in-one info source. Sometimes we just say what to do but not exactly how to do it, otherwise people may never research on their own and use that information superhighway....

More complicated question than you think! I've seen it done so many ways with so many measurements. Some people use lower, some higher. Some even use different sizes for intake vs. exhaust. ---SNIP---



Give this man a beer. 🍻
 
Top