Honda GX200 - how many rebuilds are possible?

k688

Reaction score
I was given a free Honda GX200 engine. The engine itself has been rebuild 4 times and has been re-sleeved. It does need a rebuild. Is there any problem with re-sleeving this block a fifth time? There are no cracks. Is there any real limit to how many times an original block can be resleeved? The engine has been used agriculturally and has approximately 30,000 hours on it.

Rat

Reaction score
As long as the block casting isn't failing and it's only ever been re-sleeved to stock spec, there is no limit.

Only limit I know in re-sleeves is when you bore em over for a bigger piston, for fairly obvious reasons.

9/10 times they don't need a new sleeve as much as just a light hone and fresh rings put in

k688

Reaction score
As long as the block casting isn't failing and it's only ever been re-sleeved to stock spec, there is no limit.

Only limit I know in re-sleeves is when you bore em over for a bigger piston, for fairly obvious reasons.

9/10 times they don't need a new sleeve as much as just a light hone and fresh rings put in
Does the block eventually fatigue?

k688

Reaction score
Holy cow, that means you could have a Honda engine with 50,000 hours.

Rat

Reaction score
Does the block eventually fatigue?
Eventually sure, but until it starts showing, by all means have it reworked.
Like I said 9/10 times a light hone (even if it's only with a cheap drill one borrowed from an auto parts store) and fresh rings brings back lost compression from wear.

It's really only when you've honed and stuck new rings in it a few times that you need to consider a re-sleeve or a bore over job.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I was given a free Honda GX200 engine. The engine itself has been rebuild 4 times and has been re-sleeved. It does need a rebuild. Is there any problem with re-sleeving this block a fifth time? There are no cracks. Is there any real limit to how many times an original block can be resleeved? The engine has been used agriculturally and has approximately 30,000 hours on it.
Use these clearances and torque specs, it'll last another 30k hrs, if the governor is still working correctly.

Rat

Reaction score
I say rebuild it till it goes boom, No engine is mechanically dead till it throws it's guts and oil out... though going obsolete and parts becoming forged of unobtainium cantgetum alloy can be problematic, but not for a Honda GX or GC or most other OHV/OHC kart engines anytime soon at least.

Darren

Reaction score
Sleeves are an integral part of the engine and not designed to be touched on a standard engine, the conrod and crank tend to suffer the most, rebuilds of standard stationery engines would require a freshen up, lap in valves, check ring wear, check crank big end wear/damage. However sounds like it's had a hard life and may require some extra work.