honda g 200 no spark..ish

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
i have a Honda g200 on a rototiller I am trying to fix for a friend. it has electricity flowing to the plug wire. but it is not enough to jump the gap on the spark plug. I has all the symptoms of a points problem but it has an electronic ignition module instead. i think that the electronic ignition module is bad. what do you think

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
I got a new electronic ignition module in and installed it and it is still not working. I fallowed the wiring diagram and I go the one with the best reviews. it has a red/orange spark when I crank with my drill but thats it. also what plug should i use. at the moment I am using a ngk br5es.

anickode

Reaction score
Did you bypass the oil sensor? Those can go bad and could be providing a high enough resistance grounded path to weaken the spark but not completely ground out the magneto

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Post some pics of this?...

Whats up with the pull start???
nothing it's just easier to see the spark plug and i can crank faster.
Did you bypass the oil sensor? Those can go bad and could be providing a high enough resistance grounded path to weaken the spark but not completely ground out the magneto
I dont think it has one.

anickode

Reaction score
nothing it's just easier to see the spark plug and i can crank faster.

It does work, but you have to be real careful. If the engine fires, it can overrun your the drill and bust the chuck off, or smash your wrist in a real hurry.

Obviously without the spark plug in, it can't, but I don't recommend it for stubborn to start engines.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
have you ever tried a corded dewalt drill. I used one on my b&s 5hp for about a year because it was so hard to start. but I know what you mean about the wrist thing I saw Steve's small engine saloon video on it.

anyone have any other ideas on what it could be

Last edited:

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
ok I figured the part I got was defective got a new one and it still did not work I am stumped! could there be a fault in the coil or wiring?

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
How much "air gap" do you have between the coil and magnets on the flywheel? Too much of a gap can cause weak spark as can weak magnets in the flywheel...

Coil air gap should be 0.012" which is pretty tight

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
how do you check the air gap with an under the flywheel coil?

Good question... I didn't realize it was behind the flywheel on the G series... it's tough to figure out a way without the motor in front of me but im thinking! Lol.

When a coil is snug but not tight the magnets will pull it into them therefore if you could tape a leaf of feeler gauge (or business card as Mckutzy mentioned) on the inside of the flywheel it should auto set. As long as you carefully turn and remove the flywheel after getting it (the flywheel) loose you should be able to tighten the coil back down and hopefully be good!

There's probably a better procedure but I like"winging it"! Lol.

*edit* I just had a look at a picture of one, they don't look like they have much if any adjustment available. If you have the flywheel off again maybe you can confirm that? Was there any rust on the magnets? That will hinder spark.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
well a new update. i replaced the ignition col that didnt fix it. but i think I know what's wrong the flywheel has 4 little thing that stick out and act like weaker magnets. and I think that that messes up the electronic ignition module. so i think I have to switch back to points.