Honda engine build help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyLonewolf25

Reaction score
I know nothing about this motor other than it runs. ( from a bit of googling) I believe it's a gc160
What can I do to this thing? I don't really know Honda motors I'm more familiar with preditor and flat head brigs motors

Any help identifying and what I could do with it and get go fast parts would be extremely appreciated

Also this little round thing on the back is a pulse pump correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karl

Reaction score
I would recommend dumping that and getting a gx honda,clone , predator , or flathead 5hp briggs. Or even tecumseh hhs or h series would be much better to modify.

MyLonewolf25

Reaction score
I would recommend dumping that and getting a gx honda,clone , predator , or flathead 5hp briggs. Or even tecumseh hhs or h series would be much better to modify.

I got it for 20 bucks
I plan on getting a clone or predator in the future but I'm dealing with what I got currently

karl

Reaction score
I got it for 20 bucks
I plan on getting a clone or predator in the future but I'm dealing with what I got currently

Other then making your own high flow intake and exhaust the best performance part you can get is a $99 predator motor from harbor freight

mckutzy

Reaction score
I'm guessing you didn't take that last pic... As the shaft was just shy of being in it..

And I'm going to take a wild guess it going to be tapered, as this appears to be off of a pressurewasher...

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Get a header pipe, ditch the stock muffler. Shave some several thousandths off the cylinder head height to increase the compression ratio. Port and polish, maybe a less restrictive air filter.

Sorry you got hammered by the Predator Engine Cult. That's all they know.

They cannot handle a dissenting opinion or free thought. Bunch of red commies.

MyLonewolf25

Reaction score
Get a header pipe, ditch the stock muffler. Shave some several thousandths off the cylinder head height to increase the compression ratio.

Sorry you got hammered by the Predator Engine Cult. That's all they know.

They cannot handle a dissenting opinion or free thought. Bunch of red commies.

Yea there's plenty of people running these engines

I just want to know where I can get parts for it :kappa:

Hellion

Reaction score
Adjust the governor for maximum available revs. Apparently the stock carburetors are one of the limiting factors as they were meant for steady RPM and fuel economy. They tend to stutter when the engines are really opened up.

Neat design though; belt driven overhead cam (OHC)! Basically a timing belt.

EDIT: Parts you say? that's the real trick. People run these engines but there's basically no hop-up parts for it that I can tell.

I hear a Mikuni VM22 basically cures the fuel problems at higher revs but you may have to fab your own intake manifold.

Last edited:

MyLonewolf25

Reaction score
Adjust the governor for maximum available revs. Apparently the stock carburetors are one of the limiting factors as they were meant for steady RPM and fuel economy. They tend to stutter when the engines are really opened up.

Neat design though; belt driven overhead cam (OHC)! Basically a timing belt.

I'm planning on removing it completely and just being good on the throttle... or at least raising the rpm limit
No clue how yet

But again
Where'd I find go fast parts for this thing?

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
That's the thing. There isn't any go fast bolt on parts. Hence the rota-derp comments. <---lotsa parts.

Hellion speaks the truth.
The head work will do wonders.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

You still haven't answered if the shaft is tapered or not.

Randy H

Reaction score
The shaft probably isn't tapered. It's likely 7/8", or a spline shaft. This engine is designed for power washers and that should be what it's used on.

If it runs good, great. Clean it up and try to make enough money off it to buy a suitable engine. Or put a pump on it.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Doing a quick search, itll have a straight short stubby shaft, that wont be able to hold a clutch properly on.....

I agree on randy about this..... Clean it up and sell it..... get a Rotaderp...

Hellion

Reaction score
Where's the pics of the drive shaft, the PTO mang? Come on, let's at least find out if you can run a kart or minibike with it.

MyLonewolf25

Reaction score
Where's the pics of the drive shaft, the PTO mang? Come on, let's at least find out if you can run a kart or minibike with it.

My lord you guys are impatient

Idk how much this will help picture wise though

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Yeah that is not gonna work for a kart unless you get a new crank, but at that point you just need to get a predator. Most clutches are for 3/4" keyed PTOs, and your engine has that weird splined thing that is way too short even if it was the right shaft type.

My advice is to sell that to someone who needs a new pressure washer engine and buy a predator or a gx.

Status
Not open for further replies.