Honda Bond (RTV Silicone) vs Copper Coat on head gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.

KartFab

Reaction score
Just my two cents here, as I have now used both on copper head gaskets. Anybody have input on these?

Copper Coat
sprays on easily
you have to wait for it to FULLY CURE before assembling gasket

High Temp Honda Bond
messy, so apply with gloves, apply in a very thin layer
wait a short amount of time for it to tack up
when you torque the head down it goes everywhere (e.g. i am now going to need to remove the piston from the underside of the block to clean up the extra honda bond that came out under the head)

In either instance, i had to anneal the copper gasket with MAPP gas, then etch the gasket with fine sand paper to get a good surface for the sealant to bond to. Had to clean up the block and head surfaces as well.

my limited experience with honda bond makes me want to toss it in the garbage and only use this copper coat stuff.

Any pros/cons to either method?

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
To be fair to the HondaBond, I don't think it was ever intended for head gaskets while the copper spray is. HondaBond and analogues are usually for sealing against low-pressure oils. They work great for sealing bike crankcases, oil pans, differentials, etc.

If any more than very tiny beads squeeze out here and there, then there's too much sealer in the joint. A paper-thin skin is plenty and that goes for RTV as well.

Some of the *Bond sealers are also not compatible with copper FYI.

KartFab

Reaction score
To be fair to the HondaBond, I don't think it was ever intended for head gaskets while the copper spray is. HondaBond and analogues are usually for sealing against low-pressure oils. They work great for sealing bike crankcases, oil pans, differentials, etc.

If any more than very tiny beads squeeze out here and there, then there's too much sealer in the joint. A paper-thin skin is plenty and that goes for RTV as well.

Some of the *Bond sealers are also not compatible with copper FYI.

im about to find out just how incompatible they are this weekend haha:roflol:

Status
Not open for further replies.