Hi

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I have never seen an engine with such a short output shaft. At least that's how it
looks in the picture. How long is it, about 1 3/4" ? I guess you could put a centrifugal clutch on it. You would never get a torque converter on it. It is too
short for that. Is it 3/4" in diameter ? Have you been able to get it running yet?
actually the output shaft of that size was pretty common on them old briggs from what ive noticed

Butterland

Reaction score
I didn’t see that, where do I find it? I’m in Texas, near Dallas. A friend of mines husband has an old non running gokart frame, with and engine not sure if engine works.
she is trying to get her husband to be ok letting it t🪙go.

Butterland

Reaction score
I’ll measure the driveshaft today. After I took the belt drive part off I thought it looked good cause it wasn’t tapered; I didn’t measure thoyg

Butterland

Reaction score
I haven’t done much regarding a sprocket yet; trying to get engine running first.
So I pulled the car off, cleaned it, fixed the throttle adjustment so it can be adjusted, it was stuck in place from a bend-looked like a rock fell on it. Anyway the carb appears clean, throttle and choke can be adjusted easily now.

if I spray started fluid into the carb it will run for ~10 seconds. When it is running it sounds good, I’m no mechanic but it sounds appropriate. (Mechanic experience is working in a Mercedes’ maintenance shop for a summer and working in small t Max rc cars.
I poured small amount of fuel into the cylinder and same thing, works about 10 seconds then dies- I adjusting throttle and choke with same result.

TLDR
I thunk the carb is not transferring fuel to the engine. The carb bolts directly to the tank.

the piece I’m holding had called off into the tank. I reattached it how it looked like it should go, tried to fire it up. Same result.
I need to attach the rubber tube from the engine to the carb I think it’s an overflow tube? And there is a whole in the top of gas tank that is supposed to be there- Gas comes out of that when starting so I imagine I need to attach something there.

these seem like simple fixes. I enjoy the building problem solving part of this stuff so I don’t mind doing the work; I just need help knowing if I’m doing the right work or just wasting time. I did order a carb on Amazon in case I can’t get this one working.

TLDR #2
do you have any recommendations on the driveshaft and sprocket part?
Or why the carb doesn’t seem to be pulling fuel to the engine

I’ll measure drifeshaft when I get home

Attachments

• CAA0D114-DADB-47AA-AEE1-4BA4688BCED2.jpeg
    CAA0D114-DADB-47AA-AEE1-4BA4688BCED2.jpeg
    943.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 862CEE8B-4021-4016-888A-872A3318B556.jpeg
    862CEE8B-4021-4016-888A-872A3318B556.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 2B0329A5-5AAD-4962-A569-DD3AB0F0430D.jpeg
    2B0329A5-5AAD-4962-A569-DD3AB0F0430D.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4

FlyFrog

Reaction score
I haven’t done much regarding a sprocket yet; trying to get engine running first.
So I pulled the car off, cleaned it, fixed the throttle adjustment so it can be adjusted, it was stuck in place from a bend-looked like a rock fell on it. Anyway the carb appears clean, throttle and choke can be adjusted easily now.

if I spray started fluid into the carb it will run for ~10 seconds. When it is running it sounds good, I’m no mechanic but it sounds appropriate. (Mechanic experience is working in a Mercedes’ maintenance shop for a summer and working in small t Max rc cars.
I poured small amount of fuel into the cylinder and same thing, works about 10 seconds then dies- I adjusting throttle and choke with same result.

TLDR
I thunk the carb is not transferring fuel to the engine. The carb bolts directly to the tank.

the piece I’m holding had called off into the tank. I reattached it how it looked like it should go, tried to fire it up. Same result.
I need to attach the rubber tube from the engine to the carb I think it’s an overflow tube? And there is a whole in the top of gas tank that is supposed to be there- Gas comes out of that when starting so I imagine I need to attach something there.

these seem like simple fixes. I enjoy the building problem solving part of this stuff so I don’t mind doing the work; I just need help knowing if I’m doing the right work or just wasting time. I did order a carb on Amazon in case I can’t get this one working.

TLDR #2
do you have any recommendations on the driveshaft and sprocket part?
Or why the carb doesn’t seem to be pulling fuel to the engine

I’ll measure drifeshaft when I get home
alrighty heres my specialty, on the side of your carb there is a panel with 4-6 screws, unscrew them and look at the diaphragm and see if it has any tears in it, if it does purchase another from evil bay, if it doesn't take the diaphragm out and blow air or break clean through the jets to push any debris that may be in there, these carbs are a lot of maintenance and can be very finicky

EDIT: that rubber tube is a crank case vent tube and it runs to the carb for pollution reasons, lets also see the "hole" in the gas tank thats supposed to be there

EDIT 2: pull the plastic peice back off that had fallen into the tank and try to blow through it with your mouth, if you cant or its really difficult spray it with brake clean until its easy to blow through

panchothedog

Reaction score
Don't know anything about the tank mounted carbs. Hopefully between the advice from FlyFrog or the new carburetor that you have ordered you will be up and running. The fact that it runs momentarily when you feed it juice is a very good sign.