Hi from Southern Maryland

dangerz

Reaction score
Hey! Picked up a kart with a Predator 670 on it. It needs some work and it’s my first kart, but I’m excited to learn.

Water got into the fuel tank, so the previous owner said the engine might be shot. That being said, the price for the whole kart was only $500 and that includes rack and pinion steering, suspension, solid frame, and a ton of other goodies. Even if the motor is shot, I feel like the price is worth it.

Motor was seized when I got it. Turns out it was rusted together. A little bit of PB Blaster and a hammer and now it spins. Cleaned the carb out, fresh fuel, and verified it has spark. Still doesn’t start, but I’m working on it.

Anyway, lots to learn. Thanks for having me!

869E6C76-01D2-41DD-8B3B-DCC94BB02847.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Looks like a cool kart. Welcome!
Have you tried doing a compression test on the engine yet? Try dumping a 50/50 mix of acetone and Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders and let it soak for a few days then crank the engine over with the plugs out to blow out the excess oil. Put the plugs back in and drain the oil from the engine and refill. After it’s running do a complete oil change with filter. Probably has stuck rings. You did completely clean out the fuel tank, lines, fuel pump And carb right? Good luck!

dangerz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Denny! I got the carb cleaned up tonight, but no joy. I think it’s too far gone. I ordered a new one and it should arrive in a week or so. I have to leave for work travel anyway, so it works out.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Take that engine apart and see what is wrong. Probably not too far gone if you got it free. Does it have spark? Did you try starting fluid? Or just putting some oil down the cylinders?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Let me know if you would consider rehoming the engine if you don’t want to play with it. I’ve got nephews that want to learn about rebuilding engines.

dangerz

Reaction score
Take that engine apart and see what is wrong. Probably not too far gone if you got it free. Does it have spark? Did you try starting fluid? Or just putting some oil down the cylinders?
This is probably a dumb question, but where would I even pour the oil to get to the cylinders? I haven’t opened up this engine yet at all other than taking the carb off.

dangerz

Reaction score
Let me know if you would consider rehoming the engine if you don’t want to play with it. I’ve got nephews that want to learn about rebuilding engines.
I really want to learn on it. If it’s not recoverable and I end up getting a new one, I’ll let ya know.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Just put a tablespoon of oil. Remove the spark plugs and put it directly in the cylinders. Then with the plugs out still. Just bump the engine over enough to cycle the pistons up and down the cylinders a couple of times. Then after a couple of days you can crank the engine over with the plugs out to blow out the excess oil and put the plugs back in and try to start. You could put some gas down the cylinders the same way to check for signs of life. By the way there are no dumb questions. We all had to learn the same way by asking them. Cheaper than just messing stuff up.