Hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom.k

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Willis TX
Totally new to karts. So new I don't even know what to ask yet so I'll just hang out and read for awhile. End goal is to build a frame from scratch with my son next year to introduce him to the shop environment.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
:welcome2:
always room for another Texan, UNLESS you like the cowgirls.....:lolgoku:
If you do, well, I wont hold it against you , for too long.... lol
 

Tom.k

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Willis TX
Wow, there is a lot to learn! But a lot of knowledgable people here. Looks like it's going to be even more fun than originally expected.
We good firemanjim, Its the Texans for me�� the good people set me straight when I moved here 2 years ago.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
74
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Ok, so, you have no experience with karts but, do you have experience/knowledge in engineering, welding &/or metal fabrication?
 

Tom.k

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Willis TX
Fabroman, I was a professional blade smith for 12 years and have a well outfitted shop. Went to school for welding along the way and was a diesel mechanic for the army many years ago. I'm hoping some of that experience will turn out to be relevant. I make no claims about engineering and will be depending on the knowledge of others.
 

Tom.k

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Willis TX
Wait Tom. Does a blade smith mean you make swords?

Not a lot of call for swords theses days but I have forged a few. I tend to make Damascus hunters, woodcraft and high end cooking knives. I'm a homeschooling father now so I don't try to make a living at it anymore.
Landuse, no razors but if I ever put up the cash for a 14'' wheel I'll give it a go. Damascus accents for go karts? Pedals, steering and such. ( just to keep it forum appropriate :funnypost:)
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,799
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I like the sword making thing. I watched this documentary a while ago on how the Vikings used to use Ulfberht swords. They were the Rolls Royce of swords back then. Crucible steel was used which was not that easy to come by
 

Tom.k

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Willis TX
Lucky, it kinda like how long does it take to build a kart. Who is building it fit and finish and style all come into play. Are you working by yourself or with a talented team. A twisted core Viking sword would take an individual months working with only hand tools fron ingot to finished blade with fittings. With a press and power hammer I can do it in two weeks. Mind you there are a lot of sword shaped objects being made. A real functioning sword is a lot more technical than most realize. A sword shaped object can be made in a few days

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Crucible steel is a p.i.t.a but it makes up for it in cool and bragging rights!
 

Desertduler

Active member
Messages
1,736
Reaction score
14
I like the sword making thing. I watched this documentary a while ago on how the Vikings used to use Ulfberht swords. They were the Rolls Royce of swords back then. Crucible steel was used which was not that easy to come by
I have seen that same documentary, way cool indeed! I am of Viking decent and proud of it! :backtotopic:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top