HFT welder

Status
Not open for further replies.

pttm

Rusty.
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back again I got a Chicago electric 90 amp flux welder form harbor freight for 90 bucks. I want to use it to weld the regular 2.4 mm wall tube. Do you think it will work?

Felineman

Death by misfortune
Reaction score
120 or 240 volt? are you using fluxcore or welding gas? what size diodes does it have? Many factors can make a welder operate like crap. Are you using extension cords?

KartFab

Reaction score
Looks like you could weld 3.17 mm thick (1/8") material with that welder on a single pass.

Just make sure you follow the instruction manual and practice your welding if you are new. The welder will do just fine for that application.

pttm

Rusty.
Reaction score
120 or 240 volt? are you using fluxcore or welding gas? what size diodes does it have? Many factors can make a welder operate like crap. Are you using extension cords?
im using 120 volts flux wire no extension cords 0.030 in. size diode i think.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
You want to use. 035 wire, preferably (by me ) Miller wire. You can get 1lb rolls at home depot.... Cheap.....
You can weld. 090" (2.4mm) wall on low with the feed set around 6-8..... More than. 090 and you gotta step up to the high setting.:thumbsup:
Harbor freight welders get a lot of crap dumped on them, but I love mine. It hasn't ever let me down. I have had it for more than 8 years and it's paid for itself more than 10 fold.... Just take of it and don't abuse it. Treat it like it belonged to the Pope, and it will be kind to you..... :lolgoku:
EDIT..... It's the same 90amp flux core you have.....

Felineman

Death by misfortune
Reaction score
Yup I replaced the diodes in mine to 600 volt 1 inch from the 12 watch battery sized ones that were in it and now I can weld 1/4 inch plate and even sometimes burn right through it. Good welders only the diodes are crap. I agree on the .35 wire its better. I bent the plate that they used to mount the diodes on up and drilled holes in it for the new diodes. Watch which direction the diodes are they only pass current in one direction. Kinda wish I had upgraded the cooling plate too I don't have that long of a duty cycle.

Attachments

• HPIM1410.jpg
    HPIM1410.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 98
  • HPIM1411.jpg
    HPIM1411.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 98

DaiSan76

Reaction score
It has been mentioned already, but I will reiterate. Don't use the wire from harbor freight. Buy Miller or Hobart wire.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
I'd love to see bigger images of this, its a mod I would do on my HF 90 amp welder

Yup I replaced the diodes in mine to 600 volt 1 inch from the 12 watch battery sized ones that were in it and now I can weld 1/4 inch plate and even sometimes burn right through it. Good welders only the diodes are crap. I agree on the .35 wire its better. I bent the plate that they used to mount the diodes on up and drilled holes in it for the new diodes. Watch which direction the diodes are they only pass current in one direction. Kinda wish I had upgraded the cooling plate too I don't have that long of a duty cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.